6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 11:59 AM by jahtechguy

How can you assign a building

jahtechguy

After you have all the records in the database is there a way to assign a building to each of the records and have an equal number of records per buildin?

This is a screen shot of what I am trying to do. I put in Building No 4 it looks up building 4 and it gives me Denbow City. I would like to automate this process by giving me about the same number of records for each building. I have around 460 records.

Screenshot 2016-10-03 13.16.37.png

• 1. Re: How can you assign a building
          taylorsharpe

Any chance this is more about a relationship between a table with the building in it and some other table with some other types of records in it?  Do you have an example you can show a screen shot of?

• 2. Re: How can you assign a building
            mw777rcc

Loop through the records while looping through the buildings and assign one at a time.  Of course if you have an odd number of records (not evenly divisable by buildings) then they will not come out evenly and you will have to address that.  Post more about the data structure or a screenshot and we can help you more.

• 3. Re: How can you assign a building
              coherentkris

Yes there is and it all depends on the structure of your file.

We really need to know more information about what you have here.

You have just walked into the repair shop and asked the mechanic on duty if he can fix your car.

What kind of car and whats wrong with it?

K

p.s. i am particularly concerned why you have to have an equal number of records per building. This indicates a possible data structure problem.

• 4. Re: How can you assign a building
                coherentkris

now i am more concerned than ever.

Lets say that you have exactly 400 records and 10 distinct buildings...

You want to enact a process that produces 10 building groups with 40 records in each group?

How do you want to handle uneven distribution related to remainders of the equation records / buildings?

Do you want to create new records to get to the even distribution?

Do you want to alter the existing records to get to even distribution?

if you want to alter them exactly how?

ps approximately does not = easy to program

• 5. Re: How can you assign a building
                  jahtechguy

I have about 460 records. I need to assign an equal number of records to a building. I have two tables that I am using for this process. When I enter a building number it looks up the name of that building in the second table and enters that name into the layout in the first table.

• 6. Re: How can you assign a building
                    jahtechguy

I am sorry that I am having a hard time with this. Thank you all for your help.

Let me try asking the question this way.

I have about 460 registrations for a conference. That information is in a table with all of their information. I need to assign each of these people into 1 to 24 buildings. I want to automate this process. Now when I enter a number into the building number it looks up the building name in my building table and puts that information into their informtion.