1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 12:40 AM by user19752

Listing files in a folder

Stigge

Hi

Am trying to list all files that are located in a network drive. Do anyone know how this is done ?

Or if its even possible.

/Stigge

• 1. Re: Listing files in a folder
          Johan Hedman

For that you need a plugin like Base Elements or Troi File

BaseElements Plugin | Goya Pty Ltd

Troi File Plug-in for FileMaker Pro

I use both in different solutions

• 2. Re: Listing files in a folder
            Markus Schneider

Just in case - If You have allready the MBS Plugin: MBS can be used for this as well

• 3. Re: Listing files in a folder
              Stigge

Hi Johan

I have tested the BE plugin.. it has potential =)

Am a bit stuck. i have tested it some and listed all files in a folder in to a field.

is there a easy trick to only list some of the files ? for example in my list of files i ONLY want to list all files that starts with "Pre-Invoicing", all others i dont want to list at all. is that possible ?

• 4. Re: Listing files in a folder
                Johan Hedman

BE do not have that many examples files, there both Troi File and MBS plugin have a huge set of example files for you to use.

I have not worked with filtering on file name, but on Troi File it is easy to just see files of a certain type (pdf/jpg/docx etc).

Download Troi File and use the file SelectFolder.fmp12

Troi File Plug-in for FileMaker Pro 15

• 5. Re: Listing files in a folder
                  monkeybreadsoftware

The list files function is here:

Monkeybread Software - MBS FileMaker Plugin: Files.List

And I have in my code a version for Mac, Windows, iOS and Linux :-)

• 6. Re: Listing files in a folder
                    coherentkris

A long while ago i used this utility called xml-dir-listing to do exactly what your are asking for.

Used send event or server side script to fire a .bat file that then called the utility.

If i remember right then imported the xml via style sheet into fmp

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Listing files in a folder
                      nicolai

And just for completeness  - AppleScript triggered from FileMaker can list the files in the folder and, I think, the files filtering is available.

• 8. Re: Listing files in a folder
                        Stigge

Hello

I mist edmit, still as confused as at the start of this thread

i can list them, all files. but now i need to sort them and and have a criteria or or a part of name to use.

@

• 9. Re: Listing files in a folder
                          Johan Hedman

With Troi File you can sort files like if you where using Explorer. You can use demo of Troi File to try out with the file I wrote about above and see how it works

• 10. Re: Listing files in a folder
                            Stigge

i did.

And it looks okey, but it does only as the other plugin, only list all thats inside, still no filter option.

What am trying to achive is that every month am doing an pre-invoicing. And the files need to be accesable by our finance directors/controllers. So i want to take away all manual work and automate everything. Today i only have 2 steps left to complete that. and thats share the files and also merge 2 excels.

By doing this i have cut down the work time each month my almost 2 weeks, before it took 2 week per month to complete, today it takes around 3-4 hours.

The files are always stored in the way..

Year

- Month

- Files

So i want to add just the first folder and that way get all already devided year / month / file, i also have alot of other files in the same folder, files that i import in to SAP for creation of the invoices it selfs.

• 11. Re: Listing files in a folder
                              Johan Hedman

Why dont you build a table for all your files inside FileMaker? Then you can easily build a portal that makes exactly what you want. You can store you're files outside FileMaker so that the database does not become to large. Then all your files get a lot more information for you to use.

Get(ContainerAttribute) can give you FileName, ImageSize, ImageHeight, ImageWidth and a lot more

• 12. Re: Listing files in a folder
                                sreese

You can get folder contents with 360works scriptmaster as well. Its free. You run a shell command with the proper directory command. I'm doing this with a whole custom file management solution that doesn't use containers.

We have a lot of problems with our files that are heavy in container use.

• 13. Re: Listing files in a folder
                                  sreese

Stigge wrote:

What am trying to achive is that every month am doing an pre-invoicing. And the files need to be accesable by our finance directors/controllers. So i want to take away all manual work and automate everything. Today i only have 2 steps left to complete that. and thats share the files and also merge 2 excels.

What operating system are you going to run? Windows? How are you looking to share the files? Via a shortcut and email or do they just know where to go for the share?

As to merging 2 files, can you elaborate. I haven't found an easy method to do this as of yet. I know how to do it via some outside scripting, but nothing inside of FileMaker. This may need to be a manual step.

• 14. Re: Listing files in a folder
                                    Stigge

We are running Windows, pure windows on everything..

The plan is to share them in a webpage. thats what am trying to do now. ether i do a Webdirect solution or we build one in PHP or Javascript or something. since they are always stored at the same location on a drive. just exploring the options so far.

Merging the files i havent started on yet. But for more information 1 have 2 excel files, and one of them i need to copy everything from the first file in to Tab 3 on the second one. it containes the details while tab 1 and tab 2 is calculations of the details. The first excel is an extraction from my FM solution with each service listed as a detailed page.

I havent really started to look at this yet.but i think i need to go VB for that solution.

1 2 Previous Next