4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 5:39 AM by wimdecorte

Filemaker Cloud running in AWS CentOS Linux

justpaulo

Hi all,

I invite you all to a brief mental exercise.

Filemaker recently announced Filemaker Cloud in a "joint-venture" with AWS.

FileMaker once supported Linux (many many years ago if I'm not wrong), but currently it's known to support only macOS (Mac OS X), Windows and iOS, but Filemaker Cloud runs over CentOS Linux in AWS Cloud...

So why isn't there a Filemaker version for Linux ?

For several months I have a FileMaker 15 server hosted on AWS EC2 vm (necessarily running in top of Windows, because AWS only supports Windows and Linux as guest OSes).

Wouldn't it be great to have Filemaker Server running on Linux as it does support CentOS ?

What am I missing here ? Why should you care ? Linux is a free operating system, not requiring licensing... which is one less cost in the AWS  / Filemaker Cloud equation.

Cheers,

• 1. Re: Filemaker Cloud running in AWS CentOS Linux
          alecgregory

You can speculate as to why it hasn't happened. Here is a discussion about a Linux version with some input from Vin at FMI.

https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/1658

Note that FMI consider this idea "delivered".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Cloud running in AWS CentOS Linux
            monkeybreadsoftware

If you have a Could sever with FileMaker, you could take a look on the files on disk.

I wondered if you make a copy of the VM at AWS and copy it to your local linux server.

Like moving the files all over to a new server.

Than quit the AWS instance, but continue to pay for the FM Server license.

Would that work? I don't know.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filemaker Cloud running in AWS CentOS Linux
              justpaulo

Not completely following you here Christian.

Of course I can look at the files living at the file-system level, because it's an AWS EC2 vm (as opposed to AWS RDS which is a "DBaaS"). By the way, it would be much better to simply have the FileMaker engine available on RDS like MariaDB/MySQL/Aurora, SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres.

I use a local macOS server, so I can freely exchange files between Cloud and my computer - it's pic-nic, plus you can manage all that with the Filemaker Console.

Have fun,

• 4. Re: Filemaker Cloud running in AWS CentOS Linux
                wimdecorte

justpaulo wrote:

Hi all,

I invite you all to a brief mental exercise.

Filemaker recently announced Filemaker Cloud in a "joint-venture" with AWS.

FileMaker once supported Linux (many many years ago if I'm not wrong), but currently it's known to support only macOS (Mac OS X), Windows and iOS, but Filemaker Cloud runs over CentOS Linux in AWS Cloud...

So why isn't there a Filemaker version for Linux ?

For several months I have a FileMaker 15 server hosted on AWS EC2 vm (necessarily running in top of Windows, because AWS only supports Windows and Linux as guest OSes).

Wouldn't it be great to have Filemaker Server running on Linux as it does support CentOS ?

What am I missing here ? Why should you care ? Linux is a free operating system, not requiring licensing... which is one less cost in the AWS / Filemaker Cloud equation.

Cheers,

It's a really old debate, one that started before FMS gave us a Linux version (back in the FM5 days) and continued after FMI discontinued it.

Of course it would be great if FMI gave us the ability to install an on-premise FMS on Linx.

Since the existing product idea topic has been closed and marked as delivered; I've created a new one to be explicit about the on-premise part:

Vote it up:On-Premise Linux version of FMS

3 of 3 people found this helpful