10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 3:00 PM by TSGal

Screen Problem When Opening A File

ElizabethCasteel

After upgrading to FM 14.0.6 everytime I open a file the screen looks pixelated for a moment before it sorts itself out. I don't know if it is a serious issue but it makes me nervous. I haven't ever had this problem with earlier versions. Any ideas to resolve?

El Cap vs 10.11.6

processor 3.06

memory 8 gb

ATI Radeon HD 4670

• 1. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
          TSGal

ElizabethCasteel:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 under Mac OS X 10.11.6.

You mentioned "every time I open a file".  This occurs for every file or just one file?  What kind of pixelation do you see?  Do you have any plug-ins?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
            ElizabethCasteel

It seems ot be only when I open a file BEFORE filemaker is open. It is hard to describe, my screen has med blocks of black and white bloicks almos tlike a smeear or a repeat. all I know is I didn't have that problem before I updated to Elo Cap and filemaker 14

• 3. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
              TSGal

ElizabethCasteel:

Thank you for the additional information.

Just so I fully understand, you are double-clicking on a database file that launches FileMaker Pro.  Correct?

Please post a screen recording of what you are seeing.  If you haven't made a screen recording previously, launch QuickTime Player, pull down the File menu and select "New Screen Recording".  A "Screen Recording" window opens.  If you click the red "Record" button, it will start recording the entire screen.  Click "Stop" button when finished.  You can then preview the recording before saving it to a file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                ElizabethCasteel

that seems to be happening yes

CoffeeCup Graphix

Flowerchild Designs

The Tomato Lady

Elizabeth Casteel

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;

but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

• 5. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                  ElizabethCasteel

I finally figured out to get a pic of the problem. When I took a screen shot all it showed was blank windows. My husband suggested I take a pic with a camera. Weird how the windows were blank and the camera captured it. It only happens with FMP. Then it resorts itself into a normal fm file. It has starting crashing when I try to make and alternate color and it can't find a values list or database (which I can see) that it was getting the value list form. It drives me crazy. I have enough problems trying to learn this thing much less with software problems. Help!newest photos from panasonic - 6.jpg

• 6. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                    TSGal

ElizabethCasteel:

This kind of display is definitely not normal.

First, I would reinstall FileMaker Pro.  To do this, remove the FileMaker Pro 14 folder from your Applications folder.  Once removed, install FileMaker Pro 14 again as this will write all new files.

Once installed, launch FileMaker Pro 14 as usual, and make sure the Launch Center displays.  Create a new database file and save it to the Desktop.  There doesn't need to be any fields or data.  Quit FileMaker Pro 14, and double-click the newly created database file on the Desktop.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                      ElizabethCasteel

the oddest thing is that it isn’t allowing me to remove the folder, it’s making an alias. weird, not sure what to doc I am the admin, the only one actually

CoffeeCup Graphix

Flowerchild Designs

The Tomato Lady

Elizabeth Casteel

• 8. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                        TSGal

ElizabethCasteel:

If it isn't allowing you to remove the folder, then check the privileges on the folder.  Click once on the folder, pull down the File menu and select Get Info.  At the bottom, Sharing & Permissions will show you who has read and write permissions.  If you are the admin, then it should show your user name first with Read & Write.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                          ElizabethCasteel

I do have permissions, I had to select, move to trash and then move out to desktop. I don’t want to lose any of my files or data. I have a dmg that i am working with.

• 10. Re: Screen Problem When Opening A File
                            TSGal

ElizabethCasteel:

My apologies.  If you stored your FileMaker Pro database files in the FileMaker Pro 15 folder, then move them to the Desktop before removing the folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.