AnsweredAssumed Answered

When table fields equal, pull fields from 2nd table to 1st?

Question asked by ezeitgeist on Oct 5, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 by mike_wallace_rcc

I have 2 tables: Test_Results table & Test_Answers table.

The Test_Answers table has a record that includes each correct answer for each of the different tests available.

The Test_Results table has one set of user answers for each test taken. A field in Test_Results table is "test_name"; that field exists in Test_Answers table as well.

I want to pull the individual test correct answers from Test_Answers to compare them and do calculation as relates to the user answers from Test_Results table. There are 8 DIFFERENT types of tests, and each type of test will have a number of different tests within them.

My initial thought is to create a set of fields in Test_Results that when the TR::test_name = TA::test_name that all the correct answer fields are pulled into the previously blank ones created with each new Test_Results record.

Is this possible to do? If so, how would I do that? Would it just be in each individual calculation field in Test_Results that says if TR::test_name = TA::test_name, TR::correct_1 = TA::correct_1 (and so on for each question)?

OR, is there an easier way of doing it? I would then, in the Test_Results table have calculation fields to do all the comparisons. Can I do the comparisons WITHOUT pulling the fields and just directly comparing them?

My hiccup comes with the test_names having to match and how to make sure the Test_Results table compares user answers to the correct test answers.

Outcomes