6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 2:10 PM by addison

FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user

addison

I have four different users with the same custom privilege set who enter data using iPads. They each have an iPad assigned to them, so they use the same ones every day.

For one user, FileMaker is not saving his changes except upon what seems to be random occasions.

He walked me through the way he typically records data using the iPad. It did commit his changes, except for one field.

I have audit scripts that run on record load and record commit, and the audit does not show any data being entered and then deleted, so it appears as though the data isn't being committed at all.

The only difference between this user and the other three users (who have had no issues of this kind) is that his iPad is a slightly older model. Is it possible that this would have an effect on FileMaker Go?

Are there any suggestions for what I can test out to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
          mw777rcc

Is the version of FMGo the same on all devices?  If it is an older iPad it is possible that an older version of the software is causing this.  You could try adding an explicit commit of the record every time he exits a field to see if it solves the issue.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
            mcrip

Along with the question of is it the same version of FMGo on all devices I would ask, have you restarted the problematic iPad?  That frequently resolves issues with inconsistent results.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
              addison

Thank you for the suggestions. We were planning to replace this old iPad soon anyway, so we went ahead and got a new one. Ever since I had the employee start using one of the newer iPads, we haven't had an issue, so that seems to have solved the problem!

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
                andypieman

I have similar, 3 identical iPad logging onto a system with the same account, but accessing different records in a main DB.

1 of these iPads apparently can have a number of fields filled in, that never get committed to the server. My only explanation is that it generally gets used in a cellar where network can be a little questionable. The users think they've filled in details, but they don't make it to the server. It mostly works, just random occasions where it doesn't. I blamed staff, but I think this may be a problem.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
                  mw777rcc

You have to look at how FileMaker works on the wide area network.  If the connection is lost then it will try to reconnect, if it cant then it will close and you will lose data.  They must commit records on a regular basis.  You can set it up so that it commits the record between each field even (OnFieldExit) so that more regular communication happens and less data is lost.  The only other solution is to use a local database and sync the data up when you have a connection.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go doesn't commit changes for user
                    addison

Just experienced the problem again today-- the employee is using a brand new iPad now, and from what he's showed me, he is doing everything correctly as far as data input goes.

It seems very unlikely that it is a network problem, as none of our other employees have experienced this issue, or even anything similar, and all are located in the same room. I don't know if it could somehow be a problem that's tied to his account login? His has the same privilege set as the other employees, so I'm not sure what would be setting his account apart, if that's even a possible cause.