6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 7:55 PM by tbcomputerguy

Capture sales from seperate machines

tbcomputerguy

Hello all, thanks for the help a while back with the tax issue.  Now the next problem. The invoicing solution has a server (Shared DB) and a client machine.  What we are trying to do is identify the transactions that occur on each machine.  What I have come up with is on each machine as the invoice is created, by the use of Get(PersistantId).  Because there are only two machines, I captured the ids and stored them in a table call machines.  Each time a record in the invoice is created the script captures the id and adds it to the invoice.  From here, i can sort by machine and do what I have to.  Problem is I feel there should be a better way like with globals that are recorded when we start up the program.  Now because I captured the ids, I added a field in the machine called terminal that is an edit field that we name the computer we are on. Then when an Invoice is created, the machine name can be stored as well for each invoice.

Flustered,

Dave

• 1. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
          philmodjunk

I can't quite follow why what you have set up is a problem. How would you like this to work differently?

• 2. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
            tbcomputerguy

Ok then thanks, i will carry on.  I just thought as I look at other solutions that setting up some globals would be the preferable way to do this.  I suppose if I get the user to input some mandatory info at the start of the day then it should avoid problems.

Thanks again.

Dave

• 3. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
              David Moyer

Hi,

where would use the globals?

You might be looking for the thing I call a "Public Data" table.  This table would contain a single record with dedicated fields for public data.  These fields would not be global fields.  You would access the TO with a Cartesian (X) relationship.  I hope that's helpful.

• 4. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
                tbcomputerguy

See we have two terminals if you will, One in the kitchen and one in the lounge.  Each day I would like them to both login, count their float and continue on.  The kitchen will log in before the lounge.  So getting back to my assumption, I can get them to log in at what ever time and at that point capture the necessary info.  Then at approximately 4:30 they have to do an X reading showing sales for the day to that point.  Then they start the night shift on both.  At the end of the day they do a Z reading showing all sales for each Terminal for the day.  Then when they come back in the morning do it all over again.  I will have some sort of auto log out script to go off during the night as they will most likely forget to logout.  Again this way we can force them to login and capture the data to start the day.

That's our plan anyways.

Dave

• 5. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
                  philmodjunk

But your plan is not all that clear.

I'm still trying to figure out why your plan has any issues with using Persistent ID. The users shouldn't need to enter any info for this except what is needed to identify them as a user--their account name and password when they logged into the system or via your own similar methods if you need to leave the file open and accessed by multiple users as might be the case in your scenario.

• 6. Re: Capture sales from seperate machines
                    tbcomputerguy

Sorry for the confusion, the route i chose to go with this was, as a fairly new developer, a hunch.  Seeing as you approve of my method means a lot.  It helps me and other younger developers to confirm our suspicions.  Sometimes we look at other solutions and get confused.  Anyhow I will continue on as i am. 

Dave