6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 5:29 AM by Markus Schneider

Launch Center sub folders

perkedel

I'm running FMP Server 14, I have several databases for production and testing. I'm trying to separate those databases in sub folders, one folder for the active/production use, and the other for testing and development use. Currently, I have to rename the databases to separate them so that they're visible on what's dev or what's live.

The problem is that users still connecting to the development databases, later submit trouble ticket saying they can't find records in the live database.

I can't seem to find any search result in separating this in the Launch Center other than running two instances of FMP server. Is this even possible?

• 1. Re: Launch Center sub folders
          Johan Hedman

Launch Center can not have folders. It is show the databases that you have on your FileMaker Server.

If you have FileMaker Pro Advanced you easily use the Developer Tool to change name of a solution in less then a minute

• 2. Re: Launch Center sub folders
            beverly

and local files that you set as Favorites, appear in Launch center.

Perhaps there's a need to HIDE from displaying the dev in launch center?

If OP as dev has the Favorites set to a file and then changes the display, it can be still opened, but will not be seen in Launch center. I had a client request this.

Another option is to have an "opener" data base and depending on permissions, navigate to show your list of databases that can be opened for each priv. set. The "opener" can be the only file shown in Launch center.

beverly

• 3. Re: Launch Center sub folders
              perkedel

Another option is to have an "opener" data base and depending on permissions, navigate to show your list of databases that can be opened for each priv. set. The "opener" can be the only file shown in Launch center.

I thought about this and did a try out. It seems that nobody likes entering their name and pass first, so the work around is to make my dev databases secured with different password.

• 4. Re: Launch Center sub folders
                philmodjunk

Open sharing for each of the development files. Select "share with filemaker clients". Select each development file and chose "don't" display in Open Remote File Dialog".

This keeps them from seeing and opening a file hosted from server that you don't want them to open.

• 5. Re: Launch Center sub folders
                  beverly

at what point do they enter their pass? Or are you saying the database (non-dev) has no authentication?

• 6. Re: Launch Center sub folders
                    Markus Schneider

create the opener file in a way that it looks like a menu. People will open it, find a layout with buttons that lead to 'their' solution (by scripts).

If the opener has a simple default username/passwd that is defined as default (file settings), FileMaker will ask for a username/passwd when users clicking on their buttons