1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 11:26 AM by shailasg

Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows

shailasg

I have machines running Windows 7 that Filemaker Pro 13 and Filemaker Pro 15 client not only can take minutes to run, once the app is up accessing the database whether is just a local file or a Filemaker Server connection, the access is so slow that is not usable. I get the ( Not Responding ) and stays there for minutes. Even just clicking on a different record. I know is not the Filemaker app but something in Windows is making FileMaker unusable.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
          wimdecorte

An easy thing to try is to create a new Windows account on that machine and try it from there.  If it is normal then there is likely something in the other user profile that is interfering...

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
            David Moyer

Hi,

make sure your network connections are good.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
              shailasg

I am not sure if is the Network since the slowness starts by just openg the app which can take 10-15 minutes to open and then just opening a local Database file.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                alecgregory

If the app is slow to open try disabling / deleting any plug-ins. If that doesn't work try uninstalling all versions of FileMaker Pro and reinstalling them one by one and testing again.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                  Markus Schneider

open the windows task manager - what is running on Your machine? Are other apps ok?

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                    jtu

FM was running slowly for me yesterday (not to the extent you're describing, but very noticeable). I restarted my machine, and FM's responsiveness returned to normal. Not a great solution since it doesn't get at the root cause, but simple if it works.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                      shailasg

Thanks for your reply. I did do the uninstall thing and did not help. Now the plugins are for the broswer is that correct? Can you disable plugins for for the OS?

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                        shailasg

Thanks. Yes the only apps I am running is Outlook, Chrome and Filemaker.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                          shailasg

Thanks, This is an issue I have for months now with some of my users. My machine was OK till 2 weeks ago when I started having the same issue. I do have some users that are located on a different floor of the building that have no issue. restarting and reinstalling never helped. The issue is also with FM 13, FM 14, FM 15.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                            Oodua

I noticed the same slow start of the FM application in FM13.

I have FM11, FM13 anf FM14 installed on the same Windows machine. I noticed the slow start on both FM13 and FM14. At times I get the FM Not responding message. I am quite sure it has nothing to do with your machine because I have the same problem on five computers. A Desktop and three Laptops running Windows OS and Chrome and a Laptop running Windows OS and Windows Explorer.

It has to be something in the later versions of FM. Quite annoying really.

I even wonder if these folks at FM ever conduct excessive trials before rolling out upgrades. I have noticed at least one very usefule functionality in FM11 and FM13 that is no longer available in FM14 and FM15. For now, my team and I are not going beyond FM13.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                              shailasg

If I had a product, and a customer brings an issue about my product, I will jump up and down to address the issue as a matter of principle and making sure my product is 100% issue free. Unfortunately companies that do that need to have in place a structure not only to get your money but also to support you. Here I am paying for the licence and also wasting company time to deal with an issue that It should not even exists on the first place. 

• 12. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                                wimdecorte

shailasg wrote:

If I had a product, and a customer brings an issue about my product, I will jump up and down to address the issue as a matter of principle and making sure my product is 100% issue free.

That's a pipe dream... nothing is every 100% free of issues.  Ourselves included

You mentioned that everything was fine until two weeks ago so clearly something changed.  Can you track it down to that?  Check the Windows application and system event logs for any clues.

Could be that something got updated (windows update, driver, AV, other app,...) that is causing this.

And that is precisely why these things are so complex.  If you had a product then you would also have customers that won't be happy because you simply can not anticipate nor test for every single permutation of hardware and software and environment that is out there...

Call support and see where they can take you.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                                  taylorsharpe

I know when you're frustrated you want to point the finger in one direction and since it is FileMaker you are trying to use, it is easy to blame FileMaker.  And it could be that it is FileMaker, but it is less likely that it is in that other people are not commonly experiencing the same issue.  Exactly which versions of FM are you using exactly (not just the major version number)?  What version of Windows 7?  Not all are certified to work with all versions of FM.  How much RAM do you have?  Are you running the file locally or from FileMaker Server?  What version is the FileMaker server.  Are other computers connecting to that same server having the same speed issue?  If so, it could be poorly designed database.  Above already has been mentioned plugins...  so if you have them... what are they and what version and have you tried it without them.  Was this previously working well on this machine and now it has started going slowly and if so, do you know any changes since then like to the OS?  Can you try getting a copy of the database and put it on the computer and try to run it locally?  If it runs fast then, that tells you it is probably a network issue.  Can you tell us more about the network if you are opening on Server?  Is it on the same local area network or is this across the internet?  How big of a file are we talking?  How many records and fields in the table you are viewing.  (e.g., if its 1000, its not an issue, if you have 1,000,000, that is much more of an issue). 

I find rarely is the FileMaker app the problem in such situations and it is more likely to be network, disk speed, compatibility, mismatched versions, not enough RAM, etc.  Give us some more info and we'll have you try some different things to figure out where the problem is. 

• 14. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 or Filemaker Pro 15 is very slow on Windows
                                    taylorsharpe

One other thing I ran into a couple of months ago, a client put a print server on their local network and it was spewing out garbage TCP info and really slowed down their network and things were up and down and very slow.  It took us a week to figure it out, but even something like that can mess it up.  But something like that will impact all the users on the same local area network.  Just another possibility. 

1 2 Previous Next