2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 1:11 PM by BobbyO'steen

Value List Limitations

BobbyO'steen

Is there a limit to the number of characters that can be used in a value list? I have a value list that I use to list out various event locations. It is not letting me add any more at this point, which means I will need to reconsider how I am managing this moving forward. I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.

• 1. Re: Value List Limitations
          David Moyer

Hi,

hrum ... I didn't know that there was a limitation on the length of value lists.  However, if it's that long, you should have a table with records for each value and base your value list on that related table.  Then take advantage of Auto-Complete, if you're not already.

• 2. Re: Value List Limitations
            BobbyO'steen

Thanks David. That is honestly not something that I thought of. I actually have 2 tables (Table 1 = Events and Table 2 = Locations). Both tables used the same value list, but more for value selection. The Locations table contains records for each location along with additional details such as address, city, state, etc. The user would select the location from the dropdown list in the Events table, which would then autocomplete additional information into the Event table from the Locations table. But I never thought to have the value list populate from the Locations table. I'll give that a try. Thank you very much.