14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 9:30 AM by BenToronto

Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen

bsibley

I am a teacher using Filemaker 12 for grades, printing report cards, class organization things.  Our district is upgrading to Mac OS 10.12 - Sierra.

In testing our template, things seem to be fine except on one screen.  I have some boxes/rectangles surrounding text.  The entire layout  is grouped together and locked, however, several of the boxes moved to a different place on the screen.

Any idea why this would happen?  I don't like the idea of redoing many templates to fix this, but maybe you all can help so I don't have to do this again in the future.

thanks, in advance, for any ideas you might give!

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
          andypieman

I'm not sure you'll ever get any coherent answer about this. Filemaker's stance is that FM 14 isn't tested against Sierra, never mind 12. I personally can't think why this would be the case, but in my time with FM, I have realised that not everything that happens with Filemaker is logical and fully in the hands of the developer.

If you have found that your V12 systems generally work under Sierra, that's a positive. If there are just a few niggles, try implementing them in a slightly different way, they may then work. In certain situations, I've found that a simple pause script for 0.1sec has fixed problems, even though there is no logical reason why it should.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
            schamblee

Issue can occur when using old software with new OS.    It would be recommend to upgrade to FM15  FileMaker Pro 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
              andypieman

The advice will always be to upgrade to the latest, and if this is possible always the best option. If it's not possible, you're out of warranty and on your own. I've also been here a few times.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                schamblee

Warranty??? It's not a defective product.   FM12 was written to work with the current OS available at the time.  FM15 is written to work with the current OS available now.   You don't have to upgrade your OS, if you do, then be prepared to update / upgrade all your software.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                  andypieman

That's a whole different subject, rife with politics and opinions. As a developer, I just try and get things to work.

I bought full licenses of 10 many years ago, then upgraded to 11, by 12 and the major shift I'd become wise to the craic. I moved to volume licensing and have never looked back, but others haven't. It's something often overlooked that this 'free' upgrade to a new Mac OS means you potentially have to spend huge amounts on new Apple software.

As I say, I'm not politically motivated, but this whole, just buy the latest version, it'll fix your problems attitude does occasionally grate me. Often it will work, but without any warranty or comeback, as I say.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                    schamblee

I never said the latest version will fix all your problems.   I said you have to buy a version of FM that is supported on the newest OS. if you going to run the newest OS. 

• 7. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                      johnnyboykay

I use 12 and have not had that problem. It could be possible the machine hardware makes a difference. Here is my situation that I just added to a different thread titled:

FileMaker Pro 12 Running on El Capitan or Sierra

"I installed FileMaker Pro 12 years ago on a Late 2012 27" iMac when FMP12 was the current version. Since then, I have gone through all Apple's system upgrades and am now using Sierra. FMP12 seems to still be functional for my everyday use in my business. The only issue I have experienced since El Capitan is that I have to open the program first prior to opening any documents. If I try to directly double-click a file (if the Program is not already open), the file opens, but I cannot make changes to the data about 60% of the time, 40% of the time there is no problem. Not like a typical freeze. If that happens, I quit the program and open Filemaker first, then everything works fine. I have not tried all the functions yet, but I will keep you informed if I find any other issues. The bottom line is that FM Pro 12 is still doing everything I need including printing."

• 8. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                        scottworld

bsibley: Not only is FileMaker 12 not Sierra-compatible, but FileMaker 12 is considered so old that FileMaker Inc. doesn't even support FileMaker 12 anymore: FileMaker Supported Products | FileMaker.

Your best bet would be to download the 15-day trial version of FileMaker 15 and see if that fixes your problem. If it fixes your problem, then you can start making plans on upgrading your school to FileMaker 15.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                          BenToronto

And here's my take on the situation after using FM/Claris since Day One. I keep my music library (950 records) on FM12. When FM13 came around, FileMaker Corp decided to remove the QuickTime player. So I am locked to FM12. 

And telling users, large and small, to buy an upgrade every year when new FM versions comes out is not a nice suggestion on your part.

Pretty despicable on the part of  FileMaker Corp not to go to the minor effort needed test older versions on Sierra. Not to mention how nice it would be to issue updates for their expensive app. Very much against the ethics and historic stance of Apple.

That's my take.

B.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                            scottworld

QuickTime files play just fine in FileMaker 12, 13, 14, and 15... just like they always have: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Faudio-video-containers.html

And if you have a problem with paying for software that provides you compatibility with the newest hardware and OS releases -- AND provides you with hundreds upon hundreds of new features -- then maybe you shouldn't be using professional software apps at all. I'm sure you enjoy working for free too? I bet you go to work every single day and never get paid for your efforts, right? As soon as you do that, I'm sure the entire world will be thrilled to hand over free software to you and just drop it in your lap for free. Maybe someone will give you a free laptop as well, if you complain loudly enough.

• 11. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                              wimdecorte

BenToronto wrote:

Pretty despicable on the part of FileMaker Corp not to go to the minor effort needed test older versions on Sierra.

You are assuming that they didn't consider it; you are also assuming that it is a minor effort.  Pretty big assumptions right there.

It is just not realistic to expect software companies to make all future products compatible with all past OSes AND make all old products compatible with all new OSes (and all their patches).  That would just paralyze any and all development in new features.

If you don't want to upgrade your copies of FM then also don't upgrade your OS; it's really simple.  But as soon as you do one or the other you have to keep things in lock-step.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                                BenToronto

I can see this is not the right place to complain about FM Corp, even if you have been a paying customer since Day One.

We seem have different views of Apple's history and the responsibilities of developers. And what consumers ought to expect as fair play.

Microsoft (anybody ready to hear nice words about them?) has been upgrading my Word 2011 since 2011. And FM Corp has - in the past - provided a table explaining how old versions run with newer OS. So let's not get all on a high horse about annual upgrade pricing. I will agree, FM is not meant for people who are not prepared to pay for it. Seems my somewhat neglected desktop Mac won't work right with Sierra; boo-hoo, but it is a 2006 machine, eh.

And on the third hand, I was gypped a few years ago when i bought Bento thinking it would do even a small part of what I needed after years with FM. Umm, pity they never went to the trouble of providing potential customers with much of a description of that odd app (what were they thinking?).

I'm sure scottworld is very confident he knows a whole lot about FM. Perhaps he can tell me how to get the shoddy but minimally serviceable QT player in place until FM13 (that shows "chapters" and other features that makes playing music files minimally possible) back into my container field. Yes, QT plays but the player control panel was decommissioned (I forget the cutsy euphemism FM Corp used to denote deleting a feature).

All in all, FM is OK most of the time. Not nice to delete a feature. Not nice to be too lazy to show what old versions run with what shortcomings on what new OS's. Sad not to have a consumer version of FM.

B.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                                  wimdecorte

BenToronto wrote:

I can see this is not the right place to complain about FM Corp, even if you have been a paying customer since Day One.

This is exactly that place.

But it is a forum so expect to hear replies from people who don't share your opinion.  Some people will tell you you are right some will tell you you are wrong.  Opinions differ and all are welcome.

Just one thing though: by labeling FMI (and by extension all the people that work there) as 'despicable': that just bad form.  And categorical statement that Sierra compatibility for FM12 is a 'minor effort' just belittles their work.  Same as calling them 'lazy'.  So if you wanted this to be a constructive conversation then I think you started off on the wrong foot.  If you push hard, expect a hard pushback.

BenToronto wrote:

And FM Corp has - in the past - provided a table explaining how old versions run with newer OS.

FileMaker Pro operating system requirements - all versions | FileMaker

BenToronto wrote:

Microsoft (anybody ready to hear nice words about them?) has been upgrading my Word 2011 since 2011.

Microsoft is doing a lot of things well these days.  But the comparison is flawed.  The install base for Office is vastly different than that of FM, and by extension, MS's pockets are much deeper and easier to carry out the effort to provide  backward compatibility.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 12 and Sierra...seems to work but objects moved on screen
                                    BenToronto

It is despicable of you to falsely accuse me of diss'ing FMI and, as you very grandly exaggerate, "all the people that work there". My criticism was precise and limitsd, "Pretty despicable on the part of  FileMaker Corp not to go to the minor effort needed test older versions on Sierra."

Did you notice my final paragraph that said, "All in all, FM is OK most of the time"?

Ben