9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 9:35 PM by beverly

Tricky Query

GSalmson

Hello Everyone.

I have a tricky query that I am trying to perform and I just can't get my head around it. I have a library database with a dateborrowed and duedatereturned field. What I am trying to do is a query which on the date queried will return all records for the books which are currently borrowed.

I had thought about another field which would show status whilst borrowed, which would be fine for current day queries, but I want this to be able to be queried at any given time.

I am sorry, but I am not explaining myself very well.

Regards

• 1. Re: Tricky Query
          beverly

You want to FIND books that have something in the dateborrowed but nothing in the datereturned.

For a manual find

Enter find mode

Type "*" (no quotes) in the dateborrowed field and

Type "=" (no quotes) in the datereturned field.

Perform the find

Sent from miPhone

• 2. Re: Tricky Query
            macwombat

dudatereturned sounds like a field that is trying to do too much.  Shouldn't you have two fields - one for duedate and one for returneddate.  Then all you need to do at any time to find the books which are currently on loan is do a find for records which have a value in dateborrowed and have no value in returneddate.

• 3. Re: Tricky Query
              macwombat

snap!

• 4. Re: Tricky Query
                David Moyer

Hi,

what are books?

I think the new field needs to be DateReturned, unless you already have one.  I see DateBorrowed and DateDue (paraphrasing).  If you had the DateReturned field, then you could add the "status" field you mention, as a calculated text field, to check if DateReturned was empty (see the FM function Isempty),

• 5. Re: Tricky Query
                  GSalmson

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help. I already have a DueDate field. The DueDateReturned field was badly named at the time, but I have left it there. As I was trying to say, I can search for all the current books which are on loan, ie using IsEmpty and searching with *,

but what I want to search is for a snap shot from a previous day in the past where all 3 date fields would be filled in.

example would be a book borrowed on 1/1/2016 and due 1/2/2016 but was returned 31/1/2016. Now If I search for 15/1/2016 I should  be able to find that this book was borrowed.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

• 6. Re: Tricky Query
                    David Moyer

Does this work?

- enter find mode

- set DateBorrowed to <=YourDate

- set DateReturned to >=YourDate

- perform find

• 7. Re: Tricky Query
                      GSalmson

Hi David,

Yes that did the trick. I was trying to overthink it and as usual, the solution is really straight forward.

Cheers and thanks

• 8. Re: Tricky Query
                        GSalmson

Hmmmm,

Something I have just noticed is that if the datereturned field is empty (the book hasn't been returned) then this query won't find the book.

I can do this with a separate query looking for "=" in the datereturned query.

Does anyone know if this could be done manually as a single query something like:

- enter find mode

- set DateBorrowed to <=YourDate

- set DateReturned to >=YourDate or "="

- perform find

• 9. Re: Tricky Query
                          beverly

This would an AND query. Both conditions are true. If you need OR, stick a New Record/Request between the Set Field steps.

Although, manually isn't Set Field, you type the "<=" and whatever date directly into the field. Any symbol "=", etc. can be used in manual finds. There is even a drop-down to select them (when in Find mode).  

Sent from miPhone