1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 12:22 PM by sundown

Need Host Provider for FMP Server

sundown

My son's business provides counseling & classes for 8 or 9 state required courses e.g., DWI, Anger Mgt., Life Skills, Drug Education,etc.

These classes are conducted at multiple locations, so we use the FMP server for access of these several FMP files for the employees at all of these locations. We now have 12 computers with FMP.

I designed, maintain & host these FMP files on a server on my personal computer. I want to retire from the responsibility of maintaining & hosting these files for my son.

My question is for suggestions/recommendations of any service providers that offer this service.

• 1. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
          wimdecorte

Access your custom apps in the cloud | FileMaker Cloud

Is a good option.

Evaluate it vs. the functionality that it does not have and that is in a full version of FileMaker Server.  If you need all of the FileMaker Server functionality, you can install it yourself on Amazon AWS / Microsoft Azure / Google Cloud or go with one of the more traditional FileMaker hosting providers.  Do a search here on the forums and you'll find many threads about the topic and people's preference for one over the other.

• 2. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
            PointInSpace

We have been providing professional FileMaker hosting for over 17 years.  Contact me privately if you want more information.

- John

• 3. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
              sundown

Thanks for the response. I just started looking at the Filemaker cloud and have not fully understood the process or cost, but am still studying it.

I have 8 FMP files and 13 employees using it. First look at FM pricing it would cost close to $2000/year. Still not sure of Amazon's cost. This seems expensive for a remote server.

I did a search for host providers and only found the one John replied about. I need to investigate it further, but it looks like it would be about half the price of the Cloud/Amazon host.

I have to get into more detail and compare other providers.

• 4. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                wimdecorte

sundown wrote:

I have 8 FMP files and 13 employees using it. First look at FM pricing it would cost close to $2000/year. Still not sure of Amazon's cost. This seems expensive for a remote server.

How did you get to that?

FM Cloud pricing includes the FMS license so for a t2.medium I wouldn't expect you to incur more than $600-700 total cost.

• 5. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                  sundown

I used the price for 15 users.

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at Oct. 10, 2016  2.48.15 PM.png

• 6. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                    Mike Duncan

If you already have a license for FMS that you'd like to use for FM Cloud, you can convert that license for use. You could also use that license on a Windows instance in AWS as well, if you would prefer to do that.

Other EC2 costs vary depending on the type of instance, but you can scale that up and down as you need it. That applies to either FM Cloud or FMS on Windows in AWS. FM Cloud runs on linux instances, so will be a little less than windows instances, if that helps.

• 7. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                      sundown

Since I am switching to a Host provider so my son can handle this rather than depending on for to hosting on a Serve on my computerr, I think a traditional FM host provider will be the best way to go. Filemaker Hosting Pros looks very straight forward and I can get that for $59/year for 6 databases. I am going to start a free trial with them.

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                        srzuch

Since I am switching to a Host provider so my son can handle this rather than depending on for to hosting on a Serve on my computerr, I think a traditional FM host provider will be the best way to go. Filemaker Hosting Pros looks very straight forward and I can get that for $59/year for 6 databases. I am going to start a free trial with them.

Thanks for the help.

I think you meant $59 per month.   Please note that these shared hosting plans are based on FileMaker Server versions prior to version 15, since shared hosting is not allowed on FMS 15.   These prior versions are not supported on the new Apple operating system and in a couple years will not be supported by FileMaker.   So this low cost soltution may meet your needs now, but plan on substantial cost increases in the future, or running on unsupported software. 

My financial  clients are in a heavily regulated business where security is important.  These shared hosting solutions are not an option.   I am looking into FileMaker Cloud.

steve

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                          sundown

Yes, $59/month.

I just assumed that the host provider would upgrade to handle FMP 15. If I use the host provider, why do I need the FMS?

I just want the most straight forward, easy to use & maintain method so my non-tech son can manage it when I am not around. My first look at starting the SM cloud/Amazon AWS looked more complicated. We use all macs if that would simplify it. I need to look at the cloud again. Maybe I didn't understand the pricing.

Evidently I don't understand the "shared hosting" plans. I thought it would work just like my FMS on my computer, but remote.

Thanks for the info.

• 10. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                            wimdecorte

sundown wrote:

Yes, $59/month.

I just assumed that the host provider would upgrade to handle FMP 15. If I use the host provider, why do I need the FMS?

The host provider brings their own license of FMS if it is shared hosting (meaning other client's files are also on the same server).  That kind of hosting is not allowed with FMS15 so for shared hosting they would be using FMS14.

If you need/want to use the FMS15 features then you have to get a dedicated server which costs more with the traditional hosting companies.

With FM Cloud you get your own FMS15 instance for slightly less than that $60/month (depending on your usage needs).  And provided that you don't need any features not provided by FM Cloud but it sounds like your needs are simple and should fit FM Cloud.

• 11. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                              srzuch

In the shared hosting environment, you do not own your own FileMaker Server license,  but you share the license oweed by the provider.    Starting with FileMaker Server 15, this is not allowed.   In one way or another, you must buy the appropriate FMS 15 license.  You're hosting provider may purchase the license for you, but would include the cost in their total cost for hosting.

For many reasons, cloud hosting of FMS 15 is very viable and cost-efficient, especially in a WAN environment.   Not only do you share costs of the hardware infrastructure, you gain very valuable expertise and other services (e.g., backups, disaster recovery, security ...). 

If you are considering a private hosting provider as you mentioned above, it is best to have a phone discussion directly with them. 

Steve

• 12. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                                rmertzic

I am not sure if this would help you retire but you could also look into collocating a Mac Mini. Price is about $35 a month.

• 13. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                                  sundown

We considered that but don't have a good location for it with a modem to pinhole the fire wall. His apartment & office only have router connections. Also he would have to contend with computer & power outages.

Have a good day.

• 14. Re: Need Host Provider for FMP Server
                                    rmertzic

I was referring to a collocation service. Check out www.macminicolo.net and www.macminivault.com

1 2 Previous Next