6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 9:33 PM by BruceRobertson

change existing font size across records

frankm.h.

I have 300 hundred records with nine fields filled with data.

Each field record and each field is in a different font color, size, font.

What is the easiest way to change all data to say Arial 14 black

• 1. Re: change existing font size across records
          user19752

Do you want all data having a text style for ignoring layout field settings?

• 2. Re: change existing font size across records
            keywords

Text format can be controlled in both Layout mode, setting defaults for a field, and Browse mode, setting the local record-level formatting for a specific field in a specific record. So two steps come to  mind:

1.     In Layout mode, set the text format settings to whatever you want them to be; this will be the default settings for each field thus set.

2.     You can then remove local record level formatting in one of two ways:

(1)     In Browse mode, find all records, then click inside each field in turn and use the Replace field contents, choose Replace with a calculated result, and use the following calculation: TextFormatRemove ( <theField'sOwnName> ). NOTE: Replace is a powerful tool with no undo possible, so be very careful if you use this approach.

(2)     Better and safer, make a script that loops through all fields on all records resetting them one by one, for example:

Go to Layout [ “LayoutName” (fileName) ]

Show All Records

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Set Field [ tableName::FieldA; TextFormatRemove ( tableName::FieldA ) ]

Set Field [ tableName::FieldB; TextFormatRemove ( tableName::FieldB ) ]

Set Field [ tableName::FieldC; TextFormatRemove ( tableName::FieldC ) ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next; Exit after last ]

End Loop

Exit Script [ ]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: change existing font size across records
              user19752

If the file is "simple", to remove all styles from data

export records as text

delete all record

import from text

• 4. Re: change existing font size across records
                frankm.h.

Hi user 19572

This was my first interaction with the FileMaker Community and I sure appreciate your advice!

I can’t wait to get home tonight and give this a try! and will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Frank M. Hadash

f7663@icloud.com

• 5. Re: change existing font size across records
                  frankm.h.

This was the first response I tried and it worked perfectly! Thank you!  Thanks to everyone else who responded as well.

• 6. Re: change existing font size across records
                    BruceRobertson

I usually prefer to add the trim command to get rid of leading/trailing spaces.

Set Field [ tableName::FieldA; Trim( TextFormatRemove ( tableName::FieldA )) ]

etc.