pcuezze

Dr Time Entry under current Contract with a Facility

Discussion created by pcuezze on Oct 12, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 by pcuezze

I am new to databases and filemaker so forgive me in advance.  I am building an app whereby a Doctor can enter daily time spent working for a

Facility.  The rate and maximum allowed hours are governed by the current (active) contract with the facility.  The interface should allow the Dr to select the facility from the drop down and then enter his time.

What I can't get my head around is the relationship between the Contract, Facility, and the Billing Entry table.

I have 4 tables - Dr., Contract, Facility and Billing entry.

The Billing Entry is a join-table for Contract and Dr.

But what do I do with the Facility Table?  If I join it with the Contract (there can be many contracts per facility but only one facility per contract).  I have it set up that way now, but can't figure out how to let the user select a Facility in the Billing Entry layout.

Restated - I want the user to be able to select a facility and for the database to automatically utilize (or at least allow selection) the Contract associated with that facility.

I spent the past couple weeks watching the Lynda beginner course and the relational course and thought I had a good grip on this basic step.  But then reality happened. 

Many thanks in advance for your assistance and patience.  If I need to attach a screenshot, just let me know.

Patrick Cuezze

Outcomes