3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 4:04 AM by wimdecorte

Fm Server SSL certificate

sivagurS

Hi all,

1. I have a few database files hosted in my FileMaker Server.

I have not installed a custom SSL certificate for FM Server yet.Hence when I access this hosted database files from FM Go, I had to turn the FM Server machine's Firewall Off and I my admin console has a http:// connection as opposed to a secure https:// connection. This obviously is not ideal.

The database files that are hosted in FM Server would be accessed over 3G, 4G and Wifi in FM Go in iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini Devices.

I am not sure of how important or mandatory it is to get a FM Server custom SSL certificate installed.

Any suggestions please?

2. It is also required to generate individual App Icons for each of these database files, rather than going to FM Go to access the database files.

I understand the iPhone configuration utility with FileMaker AppMaker is not available any more. I understand I need to use Apple Configurator 2 in Mac machines to do that. But couldn't find any proper documentation to do that. Can anyone please recommend a decent documentation on this topic.

Thanks and Regards,

Seetha.

• 1. Re: Fm Server SSL certificate
          Johan Hedman

For all kind of connection from outside your local network it us suggested to have a secure connection. SSL will make this secure and if you want you can also encrypt your database to make sure it is 100% safe.

FileMaker uses following Ports

Ports used by FileMaker Server | FileMaker

For your second question there is a SDK for FileMaker where you can create a App to Apple Store from FileMaker

iOS App SDK Instructions | FileMaker

• 2. Re: Fm Server SSL certificate
            wimdecorte

For your second question there is a SDK for FileMaker where you can create a App to Apple Store from FileMaker

iOS App SDK Instructions | FileMaker

A quick clarification here: FMI does not support creating apps for the Apple Store - but it can be done.  The iOS SDK creates a custom App from your FM file but is meant to be distributed within your organization, not through the Apple Store.

• 3. Re: Fm Server SSL certificate
              wimdecorte

sivagurS wrote:

Hi all,

1. I have a few database files hosted in my FileMaker Server.

I have not installed a custom SSL certificate for FM Server yet.Hence when I access this hosted database files from FM Go, I had to turn the FM Server machine's Firewall Off

One has nothing to do with the other though; it is important to understand the difference and role of each so that you don't introduce more vulnerability than you need.

The firewall is intended to block traffic on all ports except the ones that you need yourself.  You don't need to shut down the firewall because you are not using a custom SSL certificate.  Using a custom SSL certificate on FMS does not change the port that FM Go / Pro uses to communicate with FMS.  So turn the firewall back on and set it up for proper port forwarding to your FMS machine.

The SSL certificate allows for encrypting data as it flows between FM Go and FMS so it offers protection for someone snooping on the data traffic.  It also allows the FM Go client to verify that it is in fact talking to the right FMS and not an imposter.  If this is important to you / your clients then turn SSL on and install a custom certificate.