AFrancis

portal issues

Discussion created by AFrancis on Oct 12, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 by AFrancis

Hi All,

Back to developing my next data management setup, but having trouble.

My database is two tables. Courses and Instructors. Each have the usual IDs - Course ID, instructorID_fk, Instructor ID, etc.

What I need to do is VERY simple in the telling, but I'm failing to make it happen, even with all the years of experience I have with FM!  Since I use FM infrequently of late, I am obviously missing some significant, but small detail.

Rather than rehash what I have tried - (frustration always morphs it to being way more complicated than it has to be) - I'd like help designing the database structure so that I can enjoy a good dope-slap when I realize what a simplistic mistake I made.

So here's what I am after:

1. Courses table with Course ID, InstructorID_fk, Course Name, and other details.
  2. Instructor's table with Instructor_ID, etc...
  3. On the instructor's layout I want a portal where I can pick courses using a drop-down list from a value list created using either the Course ID field in the Courses table or the Course name field value list.
  4. I want to be able to add multiple courses to the instructor's record and remove them without affecting the Courses table. (I know the relationship setup rules to prevent this)
  5. I want to keep it as simple as it can be.

What I know - I need a relationship, and tried to use InstructorID_fk and InstructorID to make that relationship. Something doesn't make sense with that choice, but I can't figure out what makes more sense - which is why I need help.

What has kept happening in previous attempts is that adding a course to the instructor's page in the portal, which had the Course ID and Course Name fields from the Courses table in it, does not work. I can pick a course ID, but the name does not fill in (the ID remains), but when I try to add a second course the same way, it replaces the first as if the background data is not created or it reverts back to the first id I entered when I hit enter.

Something's awry.

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

Outcomes