6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 12:38 AM by carlsson

Commit all connected users

carlsson

By technical reasons I guess, you still cannot create new calculation fields on a live database with connected users that locks records.

I would therefore like to commit all connected users, so I can enter the Manage Database interface and do my thing.

Is there a way to do this (probably from the server UI)?

• 1. Re: Commit all connected users
          user19752

I think you can disconnect users, but uncommitted data will be lost.

• 2. Re: Commit all connected users
            carlsson

That's correct. But I would like to commit the users, not disconnect them.

Preferably with Skip data entry validation and Override ESS locking conflicts.

I have looked for this feature many years, and there seems to be many developers that would like this.

• 3. Re: Commit all connected users
              coherentkris

sounds like a candidate for a product idea

• 4. Re: Commit all connected users
                wimdecorte

carlsson wrote:

That's correct. But I would like to commit the users, not disconnect them.

Preferably with Skip data entry validation and Override ESS locking conflicts.

I have looked for this feature many years, and there seems to be many developers that would like this.

I think it is a recipe for disaster... when you are in "define database" and have a schema lock, many things can/will fail, like creating new records.  Potentially "go to layout" and GTRR.

If the code is not set up to trap and handle those kinds of errors then it can really mess up the solution's data.

I would hope not many developers would like this feature

• 5. Re: Commit all connected users
                  wimdecorte

Another disaster scenario: what if the user is in the middle of a transaction?  If you were able to forcefully commit you may introduce bad data that the transaction would have reverted out of later in the script...

• 6. Re: Commit all connected users
                    carlsson

Thanks for the input Wim.

Of course it's my responsibility as a developer to not sabotage for my users. And I'm 100% familiar with my users that I know it won't be a disaster if I commit the record for them. What I do now is that I force a disconnect instead. Do you think that's a better solution?

One of the beauties with Filemaker is that you are able to change things live in the database. When adding or changing a calc field no records can't be open. That's fine and all, but it really destroys the workflow quite much if you just want to do a simple change. If I could commit the users in the warning dialogue that would be the best solution I think.

After all – the responsibility is eventually on the developer.