4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 12:01 PM by philmodjunk

Using record data in title/header

bleyden

I want to put my contact's name as the title of the page when the record is retrieved, is this possible?

For example, if I retrieve Joe Smith's record, his name will show as the title of the layout.  If this doesn't make sense or more clarification is needed please let me know!

• 1. Re: Using record data in title/header
          philmodjunk

Where exactly do you want to see that "title"?

You can put the field at the top of your layout, just put the name field there. You can even rename the window to have this name.

What you can't do, is dynamically rename a layout as shown in the drop down list of layouts listed in the the status tool bar.

• 2. Re: Using record data in title/header
            bleyden

Ideally it would look like this:

So when viewing a record, the person's name would come up both in the text edit boxes, but then also in the "" in the header. 

• 3. Re: Using record data in title/header
              philmodjunk

While in layout mode, click the text tool and click where in the Blue Header layout part you want to see that name. Then pull down the Insert menu and select the Merge Field Option. Insert both the first and last names as merge fields. In browse mode, these will show the name of the current record.

I am assuming that you are are in form view to see one individual's record at a time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using record data in title/header
                philmodjunk

BTW, you can also just put the fields there without making them merge fields. You can put multiple copies of the same field on your layout if you have the need.

Using merge fields allows you to "flow" the text from the two fields together--even mix in some layout text such as a comma between last and first names. Merge fields are also read-only which can be useful for this context.