1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 8:12 PM by james.saldana

FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)

james.saldana

Client Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220

Server Product and version: FileMaker Pro Server 15.0.2.220

Client OS and version: macOS 10.12 Sierra ( Spaces enabled under Mission Control - Displays have separate spaces )

Server OS and version: macOS 10.12 Sierra

Client Hardware: rMBP 15" 2012 with External display via HDMI

Server Hardware: MacPro on a 1Gbps up/down connection

Description: When editing a remote FileMaker solution the FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI) when editing more than one window on a dual monitor system (one FileMaker window on each monitor). The failure to redraw occurs on either the rMBP display or the external display (HDMI). In some cases FileMaker will not visually indicate when a layout element is selected but the values will show up in the Inspector. This problem did not occur under OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

How to replicate: In the same remote FileMaker solution open two windows and put one window on each display. Then put both windows into Layout Mode and begin to edit the layouts, go back to browse mode in one window and then copy-paste a layout element in the window still in Layout mode. I have had trouble finding the exact steps to replicate it but eventually happens after 15 minutes of aggressive editing (working across multiple layouts while copy-pasting elements and toggling between browse and layout mode). Also seems to occur when editing a local solution while a remote solution is open (affects both solutions). Again, this problem did not occur under OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

Workaround: Only have one FileMaker window open at a time.

• 1. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
          TSPigeon

james.saldana:

Thank you for your post!

I do not have the means to reproduce this. However, I have forwarded your information to Testing and Development. Could you also provide a screenshot?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
            TSPigeon

james.saldana:

With your description, Testing feels this could be  due to the Window (not in layout mode) not updating until layout changes in the other window are saved. If you can, clarify whether these windows are from the same file, layout, etc. You might also provide a description of the improper drawing of the windows (screenshot will help with this).

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
              james.saldana
              With your description, Testing feels this could be  due to the Window (not in layout mode) not updating until layout changes in the other window are saved. If you can, clarify whether these windows are from the same file, layout, etc. You might also provide a description of the improper drawing of the windows (screenshot will help with this).

Hi, Thanks for your response.

What you describe does not relate to my situation.

I am editing two different layouts (different tables) from the same file and each layout window is on it's own display (internal/external) in full-screen mode . The GUI render errors only occur in the window that is in Layout mode (unsaved).

To reproduce the problem I work between the two layouts copy-pasting elements from one to another and then frequently reviewing one or both layouts in Browse mode (toggling modes). Eventually, the window or windows  in Layout mode will fail to display correctly (see screen shot). Again, the this failure only occurs when a window is in Layout mode (unsaved). A second window if in Browse mode is unaffected (no screenshot).

Screenshot (internal display): GUI fails to render after pasting an element into the window while in Layout mode (unsaved aka I have not attempted to save). After the GUI fails to render I can click on any element and it will not be selected (visually) but it's properties will appear in the Inspect window.

Workaround: I can get the screen to render correctly by attempting to scroll down the window using my trackpad.

Note: I can replicate the problem when I edit two different files simultaneously; one local and one remote.

Example Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 09.34.48.png

• 4. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                james.saldana

Note: I can ALSO replicate the problem when I edit two different files simultaneously; one local and one remote.

• 5. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                  TSPigeon

james.saldana:

Thank you for the additional information. I have forwarded it to Testing along with your screenshot. We do have another customer reporting the same behavior. I will post back here when more information is available.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                    james.saldana

The GUI render does seem to affect the second window in Browse mode on occasion.

I have difficultly figuring out the exact sequence of events to replicate the problem but after 5-10 minutes of aggressive editing betweens two windows (different layouts with different tables on two displays) it does appear. It does not matter if it's the same file, or if it's local and remote, but I'm primarily editing a remote solution. I did not experience this issue with OS X El Capitan or any previous version of OS X (I have been working with FM since 1997). Our solution is deployed globally on a server in a European data center.

My developer system and server are fully updated. I am religious about maintenance, updates, security and I use a vanilla version of macOS Sierra with no hacks or mods.

• 7. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                      TSPigeon

james.saldana:

Could you provide the brand/model of the monitor you experience this on?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                        james.saldana

This problem occurs on both monitors. In both cases the FileMaker GUI fails to redraw (only within the layout/browse workspace). No other applications are affected. I can replicate the problem in on both screens, in window or full screen mode. The FileMaker GUI redraws correctly if I resize the window or if attempt to scroll within the windows.

Again, I did not experience this problem using FMP 15 on OS X El Capitan on the equipment below.

Monitor 1: 2012 15" rMBP

Monitor 2: LG 24" MP57HQ (via HDMI)

Screenshot from my 15" rMBP screen. All of the text, bitmap and SVG icons don't render within the layout/browse workspace.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 12.21.06.png

• 9. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                          TSPigeon

james.saldana:

Testing has been unable to reproduce. We are trying to narrow down where the issue might be. Would you be able to see if this issue occurs on a different secondary monitor?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                            james.saldana

"Testing has been unable to reproduce."

Under what testing conditions? Context matters.

1. Under El Captain on FileMaker 15 I did not experience this issue.

2. Under Sierra on FileMaker 15.0.2 I do experience this issue.

I am editing a remote solution with dual displays (Internal and external via HDMI). When I edit exclusively on on the internal display (external display disconnected) I do not experience an issue.

An external monitor should not affect the GUI rendering on the internal display. Only FileMaker is affected (on both displays), no other applications are affected.

Maybe we should have a video conference to demonstrate the issue? I'm not certain you understand the context in which this issue is occurring.

Again, I did not experience this issue Under El Captain on FileMaker 15.

Are you testing the problem on a remote solution using dual displays on a Retina MacBookPro (2012) with a NVIDA GPU?

• 11. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                              TSPigeon

james.saldana:

I apologize for the miscommunication - I was just letting you know they haven't been able to reproduce so far. The information and screenshots you provide are forwarded to Testing for review. They test as close to the reported environment as possible: Retina MacBook Pro on Mac OS X 10.12 with FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 (Server hosted and local file) and a secondary monitor with HDMI connection. They do not have the specific monitor you mention though. Testing another monitor would help confirm whether it could be a Model Specific issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                                james.saldana

"They do not have the specific monitor" Probably because it's a 240 voltage model.

Is the test environment a 2012 rMBP model a NVIDA GPU 650M 1024MB?

• 13. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                                  TSPigeon

james.saldana:

I confirmed they are testing with the exact model you have noted above.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker windows do not redraw properly (GUI)
                                    james.saldana

Are they using an external monitor over HDMI while editing a remote solution over a WAN connection?

My remote FileMaker solution is accessed and edited over a WAN connection. I am on a different continent than my FileMaker server.

You said another person was experiencing the same issue. What hardware and software are they using. Are they editing a remote solution over LAN or WAN? It would be helpful to know.

1 2 Previous Next