alangodfrey

Windows 10 Automatic Reboots

Discussion created by alangodfrey on Oct 16, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 by monkeybreadsoftware

I have searched the forum for 'Windows 10 Automatic Reboot' and nothing recent was returned.

If anyone is dithering about changing from Windows to iOS I think Microsoft have just given them the impetus they require.  Please treat all statements as prefaced with AFAIK (after a lot of web searching).

Windows 10 will automatically update itself.  You do have a choice (well, Hobson's Choice): let updates run, or turn updates off completely, and that isn't really a choice.  There is no option to decline some driver updates, for example, but most important of all:

- it will install all updates automatically

- it will reboot automatically if a reboot is required

- the reboot will override any 'Save...' warnings - so if you have unsaved documents, or are running processes or are hosting a Filemaker file - it will crash the files, lose unsaved data, and maybe worse.

- even FM files with a script to prevent accidental closure will be crashed.

- (let's not bother with the scenario where you are about to give that Very Important Presentation, and your Windows PC decides to update and restart. "Go chat amongst yourselves for an hour or so, please.  Drinks are on the house.")

There is false hope in two Windows 'features':

- in Group Policy you can enable the option for 'No automatic restart if a reboot is required after update'.  Windows ignores it(self).

- Recently an 'Active Hours' feature was added.  This lets you set times of the day when the workstation is usually active.  It is useless.  It simply delays when the disaster will happen until you say are not 'at work'.  In order to at least actually make the disaster happen during normal working hours (as opposed to 03:00) I tried setting the Active Hours to be from 17:00 through to 08:00, but it would not accept that, presumably because the 'End time' was before the 'Start time'.  Anyway: it is useless.  Even worse than useless - at least it you happen to be at the screen when the reboot is threatened you may be able to save or close nicely, but if it is purposely scheduled to happen when you are away, then...

So, bottom line, as I see it (and I sincerely hope I am wrong):

- no-one should host a small-office Filemaker solution on a Windows 10 computer.  The chances of it being toasted are too great.

- ditto any other files or processes that you run on that workstation..  (Yeah: I backed up and re-read that, and it still seems odd to me that as well as worrying about data loss or corruption through an occasional power-cut, which at least I can protect myself from with a cheap UPS, I now have the OS itself to contend with.  Seems counter-productive.)

I have tried several other web-sourced solutions, and all have ultimately failed so far - they have either eventually been declared in the thread as failing, just didn't work, or Microsoft over-writes the solution with the next update so it then stops working.

This is the latest suggestion I have seen.  I have recently installed it on a few test machines, so only time will tell if it manages to beat sense into Windows, of if it fails, or it too gets over-written.

How to permanently stop Windows 10 reboots after installing updates

I would be happy to accept that the common good is served best by everyone having the latest security updates.  However the current Windows imposition is a disaster.  I would be happy to accept the Windows 7 option to 'Download and allow me to choose when to update'; I would even be happy to accept a caveat to that: 'These must be installed by [30 days away, say]'

Hopefully I will be avalanched with smart people telling me I've got it all wrong.  Meantime, if you're hosting on a Windows 10 PC, make sure you have lots of frequent backups available.

Outcomes