7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 11:37 AM by cm26508

Dynamic Value List

cm26508

I want to display records from a table in a value list that only contain the word Available in field Status.  How do I do that?  (FM 13 Pro)

• 1. Re: Dynamic Value List
          David Moyer

Hi,

How do I solve thee?  Let me count the ways ...

I suspect you'll get better suggestions than this, but here's an easy solution ...

(This assumes you want a Value List and not a portal)

- in your parent table, create a global calculation field that is set to "Available"

- create a relationship to the child table based on this field (e.g. parent:: g_static_Available <-> child::Status)

- base your Value List on this relationship

• 2. Re: Dynamic Value List
            philmodjunk

What you describe is called a conditional value list. Since you don't want the user to select a filtering value, this becomes what I call a "hard wired" CVL.

One option is to set up the typical relationship based CVL, but use a script or calculation field to set up the match field value to link to only "available" records.

I usually prefer to instead define a calculation field such as

If ( status = "available" ; valuelistfieldhere )

i can then set up a field based value list that lists values from this field to get only available values. Note that if you use two fields in your value list and sort or display the second field, this calculation should refer to that second field.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Value List
              cm26508

Thanks tons David.  Tried that and still getting nothing in the value list.  Here's the way I set it up:

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.06.01 PM.png

• 4. Re: Dynamic Value List
                cm26508

.... and here's the relationship...Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.08.41 PM.png

• 5. Re: Dynamic Value List
                  David Moyer

sorry - I can't tell which suggestion you're working with.  For mine, you'd start with this:

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Dynamic Value List
                    cm26508

David, replying to you.  Here's the way I have g_static_Available (= Available Puppy) in my Contracts table.  It is also set to Global variable.Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.30.26 PM.png

• 7. Re: Dynamic Value List
                      cm26508

Oh, got it,,,,  I had an additional relationship to my puppy table and it was taking the new relationship as an "and" argument.  Fixed and working.  Thanks tons David!!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful