8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 9:10 AM by smith7180

FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances

smith7180

I just read about this addition to the AWS EC2 pricing model:

EC2 Reserved Instance Update – Convertible RIs and Regional Benefit | AWS Blog

If your needs change, you simply exchange your Convertible Reserved Instances for other ones ... When you make the exchange, you must acquire new RIs that are of equal or greater value than those you started with; in some cases you’ll need to make a true-up payment in order to balance the books. The exchange process is based on the list value of each Convertible RI; this value is simply the sum of all payments you’ll make over the remaining term of the original RI.

If I'm understanding this correctly, this is good news for those who are interested in FileMaker Cloud's potential but are unable to commit at the moment due to lack of schedules or whatever.  Now you can lock in the significant discount of 3 year reservations without locking yourself out of FM Cloud for 3 years.

Previously if you bought a 3 year reserved Windows instance for FileMaker Server and later wish to switch to a 3-year Linux instance for FileMaker Cloud, you would have to sell your remaining Windows reservation on the marketplace.  That being said, a 3 year convertible RI only saves 39% over on demand vs a standard RI which saves 51%.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
          Johan Hedman

FMI have made a good deal with Amazon for FM Cloud and for people just in need of hosting there FM solution the FM Cloud works very well. But if you are in need of CWP you have to wait, because FM Cloud to not support that today

• 2. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
            wimdecorte

smith7180 wrote:

I just read about this addition to the AWS EC2 pricing model:

EC2 Reserved Instance Update – Convertible RIs and Regional Benefit | AWS Blog

If your needs change, you simply exchange your Convertible Reserved Instances for other ones ... When you make the exchange, you must acquire new RIs that are of equal or greater value than those you started with; in some cases you’ll need to make a true-up payment in order to balance the books. The exchange process is based on the list value of each Convertible RI; this value is simply the sum of all payments you’ll make over the remaining term of the original RI.

If I'm understanding this correctly, this is good news for those who are interested in FileMaker Cloud's potential but are unable to commit at the moment due to lack of schedules or whatever. Now you can lock in the significant discount of 3 year reservations without locking yourself out of FM Cloud for 3 years.

I don't think this applies to FM Cloud.  With FM Cloud you don't buy an EC2 instance and then install FMS on it; you buy an 'appliance' almost and have no control over the OS.

From the descried RI model this seems to only apply to buying real OS instances.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
              smith7180

Thanks Wim,

My hope was this would work since:

1. FM Cloud instances are visible in EC2 like any other instance
              2. RI's apply automatically to any applicable instance

FileMaker has stated that reserved instances can be used with FMCloud- has anyone had experience with how this will work if it is different than regular instances?

Getting Started with Reserved Instances

4. Reserved Instance cost savings are automatically applied

The discounted hourly rate is automatically applied to an on-demand instance (which matches the instance type, Availability Zone, platform, and tenancy of the Reserved Instance you've purchased) during a given hour.

For example, if you purchase two m3.xlarge Linux Reserved Instances, in us-east-1a, with default tenancy, then two On-Demand instances with the same attributes will benefit from the discounted hourly rate.

I crossed out Availability Zone since this should no longer be an issue with "Regional Benefit".

• 4. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
                mattel

I was playing around with the cloud formation template used to fire up FM Cloud yesterday. 

My goal was to be able to deploy FM Cloud using spot requests.  You can launch the AMI into a spot request right from the marketplace - but it won't authenticate or activate. 

It looks like someone would have to alter the Cloud Formation template to include a spot fleet creation including the sizes, regions and bidding.  etc. 

I'm presuming something similar would be available with Reserved instances.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
                  smith7180

The reason I'm optimistic that this isn't the case is that reserved instances don't affect how you launch an instance.  You launch ec2 instances exactly the same way as without reserved.  My understanding is that a reservation is just a billing thing- it automatically lowers the hourly price of the first available instance in the region.

I'm certainly not an expert, so I could be way of base.  However I do have 3 year reservations, and I never have to 'apply' or 'select' them to get the cost reduction.  It just seems to happen if and when an eligible instance is currently running.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
                    mattel

That sounds good - I haven't setup any reserved instances yet, as I'm just getting started on an AWS migration.

As far as the EC2 instances - so far as I can tell - you are correct they are just like any other instance.  You can ssh into them and access them like anything else.  I'm pretty sure you could even run other stuff on them, if you wanted to.  Not sure how well it would play when they update the AMI though.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
                      wimdecorte

mattel wrote:

You can ssh into them and access them like anything else. I'm pretty sure you could even run other stuff on them, if you wanted to. Not sure how well it would play when they update the AMI though.

That would be a really bad idea; the OS part of the instance can and will be trashed during maintenance and updates so anything you do there will be lost...

• 8. Re: FileMaker Cloud & Convertible Reserved EC2 Instances
                        smith7180

mattel wrote:

you are correct they are just like any other instance.

That is not what I meant to say.  I don't know anything about the instances FMCloud sets up.

The only point I was trying to make was that, in my limited experience, Reserved Instances seem like a billing phenomenon.  If you purchase a reserved instance, then one eligible instance will be billed at the lower rate.  You don't specify which instance it applies to (or at least I've never had to). 

Prior to convertible reserved instances, there was no hope of using a reservation for an EC2 instance compatible with FMS with another instance compatible with FMCloud because of the Windows vs Linux thing.  But with a convertible reserved instanced, you can cash in your remaining Windows instance and apply the credit to a Linux instance.  We've been told that reserved instances work in some fashion with FMCloud.  I only meant to say that I was hopeful that a reserved instance applied to a FileMaker cloud instance as effortlessly as it does to any other type of instance.