4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 12:22 PM by musiccreative

Edit existing Filepath / Edit existing Contract and Bid Templates

musiccreative

I'm setting up a new database file from an existing, custom fp7 file. The existing file was used with File Maker Server, which I am not using. I'm currently using Filemaker Pro 11. I have admin / full privileges on the database file.

I've already made about 90% of the modifications needed, but I'm getting stumped on a few areas, which I'm guessing are all related.

1. The original file has contract and bid templates, which I need to edit. I can not find where to edit the original template information. I've found existing letter templates in the database, but those are generic letters to customers, etc. Not the actual contract or bid themselves.

2. The contract and bid templates also have an existing "file path" to save or print as a pdf. that needs to be edited. I can not find where to edit the file path. Do I need Filemaker Server to edit this file path (since the file was set up to be used on FMS), even though I'm not planning on using it?

I hope this makes sense.

Please advise.

• 1. Re: Edit existing Filepath / Edit existing Contract and Bid Templates
          philmodjunk

The main problem is that we can interpret what you describe in more than one way. What do you mean by "template"?

That sounds like a layout, but it might be an image or PDF file inserted into a layout or a container field. You can use Manage Layouts to review each layout in turn to see which might be the template. If this is a file inserted into a container field, you can use Export Field Contents to export the contents of that field to your desktop so that you can open the file and edit it in another application.

As to your file paths, those sound like scripts. Do you click a button or otherwise run a script to print or save a document as PDF? If so, you should find that file path somewhere in that script. It might be hardcoded into a script step such as Save As PDF or you might find a set variable step that assigns the path to a variable and this variable is then used with that script step.

• 2. Re: Edit existing Filepath / Edit existing Contract and Bid Templates
            musiccreative

Thank you for your response... I will try to give clearer details... Here's the whole process.

1. We receive a bid from a client via a web based form. This has nothing to do with Filemaker.

2. The information off of the web based form is then manually entered into a bid sheet in File Maker. This form is a layout that was created in Filemaker with all the pertaining information to the bid in individual fields... client name, address, Bid amount in currency format, etc. This is how we manually get information into our Filemaker Database system. Once the bid is entered we can then print / save as a pdf. The next field that pops up is asking to continue running script, once you say yes, it then asks if you want to save as a pdf. When you say yes I get the error message "...could not be created on this disk, use a different name, make room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk"

3. When a bid is created FileMaker automatically creates a file path to save the bid, which was a link to the old FileMaker Server path that is no longer valid. This is a web address. I believe this is a scrip as well. When it creates the file to be saved it automatically runs a scrip to name the file, with date, and other info pertinent to the bid.  I need to know how to change this filepath. This bid when printed is completely propagated from the information entered into the bid. This bid sheet for all intents and purposes looks like an invoice.

4. Once the bid is entered into the system and the deal is approved. A contract can be created. This is done with a button labeled "Print a Contract" Once you hit print the contract is generated in a pdf format as well. The contract is propagated from information in the bid as well as other standard legal terminology entered into every contract issued. When this contract is issued it is a normal contract that was generated in Word or some other document writing software. The information propagated that's not pertaining to the bid is what I need to edit. Here's the error messgage I get when I try to print a contract "...could not be created on this disk, use a different name, make room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk" and "the file could not be saved. see if you have a file already open with the same name. Error #800. The contract also has a file path that is automatically created to the old FileMaker Server link that I need to edit as well.

So in summary... I need to edit the file path created for the bid and the contract, which I believe are both scripts. I also need to edit the standard contract language that is created for all contracts. Thirdly, I need to be able to save / print bids and contracts, but I'm guessing this is related to the bad filepath.

pefully this is a little clearer and thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

• 3. Re: Edit existing Filepath / Edit existing Contract and Bid Templates
              philmodjunk

You will need to open up the scripts work space and examine your scripts. In the new versions of Filemaker, you can double click a button while in layout mode and drill down right into the script that button performs.

You should find that file path somewhere in that script. It might be hard coded into a script step such as Save As PDF or you might find a set variable step that assigns the path to a variable and this variable is then used with that script step.
              • 4. Re: Edit existing Filepath / Edit existing Contract and Bid Templates
                musiccreative

that makes sense... thank you. I'll start digging around in the scripts