4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 6:52 AM by DavidCushworth

Can I create a way to open Pages app from thin FM

DavidCushworth

I want to keep a record of dealing with my customers, basically including dates and a record of discussions with them.

I thought that if I have a Pages document for each customer, but were able to launch that app from with FM, that would be their simplest way.

Unless there is an already easy way to do that within FM.    I thought of using thre external text editor as the comments are going to get extensive over time.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I create a way to open Pages app from thin FM
          philmodjunk

I would use records with text and date fields for keeping this info, with repeated entries on the same customer each in a separate record all linked to the same record in your customer table as this is more flexible than one large Pages document or one record with a massive text field where you keep entering more and more data.

• 2. Re: Can I create a way to open Pages app from thin FM
            DavidCushworth

I sort of got confused with you talking about separate records linked to the same record, I don't get what you mean. But it seems like I am going to have pre-define how many input fields/records I have For that purpose.

So customers might have only a few interactions, and some dozens.

In a perfect world I would like to have just a date and text filed for data entry and it automatically adds the information to an ongoing report that can be reviewed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I create a way to open Pages app from thin FM
              Markus Schneider

Welcome to the world of databases (-:

Your 'pages-document' per customer is a record per customer, containing only the data for each customer (Customer-ID, Name, address, phone, - no dates, not text). This will be stored in a customer-table, represented by a customer layout

Then, You create a table for notes (ie), that contains the customer_id, a text field and a date field.

'Connect' both tables via the customer_id, create a portal (ie) in the customer layout that show (and lets You create rows!) that many records per customer. Every entry with date and a text is a new record in the notes-table, You can have as many note per customer as You need

There is some reading needed - but You'll be much more satisfied using a database instead of several pages-documents (or whatever other text-application)

There is a very good documentation in the on-line manual, there are also starter-solution, shipped with every FileMaker Pro, that could help

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I create a way to open Pages app from thin FM
                DavidCushworth

Many  thanks.

The solution eventually hit me at about 4am!

Thanks for getting me on the right track.  The Eagles lost yesterday and I couldn't for the life of me work something out, but I've got it now.