AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using PSoS to find a single record for processing locally

Question asked by RussW on Oct 16, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 by keywords

I've been reading all day and still cannot find anything I can understand to help me with this issue. Perhaps I shouldn't even be doing this and that would be a fair answer if any of you believe so.

I have a quickly growing table of transactions. I frequently need to retrieve just a single record or a group of records of a given date. Using the usual SHOW ALL / FIND and coming up with my found set, it is taking longer and longer over the WAN. So now I am trying to do this using PSoS.

I get the limitations of using the server for processing and also the contextual issues that what I find on the server isn't automatically replicated in my local layout of the same table. What I am finding is that my find requests are instant when done on the server which is great. But how to I get that single record or very small found set to my local machine for additional processing?

I have looked at just falling back to Portals, but they are not really appropriate for what I am doing. I have tried to return a list of record numbers using ListOf as a new field, but that's just giving me the RecordID which I can't use to actually go to a record. And I did a Save Record As Snapshot Link but I can't seem to save the file directly (I think the server is saving it to its Documents directory and not the one I can access after the script has ended) and then, when I email the saved file to myself and try to open it within the Filemaker solution, I can't. And leaving the solution to get my email isn't exactly an answer anyway. I was just seeing if I could open the FMPSL file from within my solution and get the found set. Nope.

So, what do people do? What am I missing?

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

Outcomes