6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 8:15 AM by dakotakid

Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper

dakotakid

I cannot print existing reports on letter size paper to any Epson printer. It seems to be limited to an older solution, but one with thousands of records and many layouts, that can't be duplicated easily.

When asked to print a report, FMPA prints a 6x4" report on a letter size paper. Orientation (portrait or landscape) doesn't matter.

Pretty much renders this solution useless for printing.

I can print the same report to PDF with no issues, and send it from there to the same printer, and it prints as it should.

This appears to be a FMPA bug within this solution. How can this be fixed without completely rewriting the solution?

• 1. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
          Benjamin Fehr

Hard to fix anything as long as this informations are missing:

Product and version: 

OS and version:

Hardware:

Description:

How to replicate:

Workaround:

• 2. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
            dakotakid

Product and version:

FIlemaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220

OS and version:

Mac OS X 10.11.6

Hardware:

MacBook Pro 15-inch mid 2012
                  8G RAM

750 SSD Drive

Description:

I cannot print existing reports on letter size paper to any Epson printer. It seems to be limited to an older solution, but one with thousands of records and many layouts, that can't be duplicated easily.

When asked to print a report, FMPA prints a 6x4" report on a letter size paper. Orientation (portrait or landscape) doesn't matter.

How to replicate:

Select a range of records

Select preexisting layout, either through the menu, or through an existing script

Check Page Setup to be sure Letter paper is selected. Scale to size

Go to Preview mode. Layout is previewed on screen correctly for Letter sized paper.

Choose Print from the menu, insure that Scale to Size, and Letter size is selected.

Select Epson Printer

Output is truncated to a 6 x 4" area of the paper, and only prints within that area. Landscaper or portrait orientation does not matter. Appears as if FMP thinks it is printing to 6x4 paper, even when that is not selected by scripting, or manually.

It's only happening within a specific solution. Creating a new solution solves the issue, but this is a database with many records and layouts. Replicating it will be time-consuming.

Workaround:

Print to a PDF, then print to selected printer. Output is correct.

FMP_PrintOutput.jpg

Printed Output from Filemaker Pro

FMP_PDF.jpg

Printed Output from PDF file generated by FMP

• 3. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
              Benjamin Fehr

Your print layout is probably not adjusted to the Paper Format you've chosen. You say

Check Page Setup to be sure Letter paper is selected. Scale to size

Go to Preview mode. Layout is previewed on screen correctly for Letter sized paper.

Choose Print from the menu, insure that Scale to Size, and Letter size is selected.

Best practice would be to first set 'Page Setup', then in Layout Mode, adjust column's width though everything fits within the Page Margins.

Using "Scale to Fit/Size" can result in a unpredictable scaling.

Could you tell us: Did your current practice work with any FM Version prior to FMPA 15.0.2?

• 4. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
                dakotakid

Yes, it used to work with FMPA 12. It stopped working just before I updated to FMPA 15.0.

I have several layouts that overflow the right hand margin, but it doesn't matter. Checking or unchecking "scale to size" doesn't make a difference to this error. I've tried it both ways.

I created a new layout, deleted all the data outside the boundaries of an 11 x 8.5 page, selected some records, made sure page setup was set to letter and landscape, and printed. Same error. In this solution, FMPA only knows how to print to 6 x 4' paper.

I travel with this computer, and print to several different printers, dependent on location. I use whatever printer is available to me at that location.

• 5. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
                  TSGal

dakotakid:

Thank you for your posts.

If you create a new database file and print, does it work properly?  In essence, I am trying to determine if the original file is damaged.

If you can print properly, then try recovering the database file and see if any errors are reported.

In the original file, create a new layout (do not duplicate the existing layout), add a few objects and print.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
                    dakotakid

TSGal, thanks

I've been traveling the past couple of days, with no access to a printer. Here's what I know so far:

A new database file will print to both the Epson printer, and to a Canon laser printer, in portrait and landscape mode.

A new report layout will print properly to the Canon laser printer, but not to the Epson printer. After printing the new database file, the same new report layout will print properly to both printers.

Using a script to generate another report, I can now print properly to the Epson printer.

I tried recovering the database file before I reported this issue, and it generated no errors. But that file still had issues when printing.

• 7. Re: Filemaker refuses to print full page on standard letter paper
                      dakotakid

I posted this issue in Apple and Adobe forums, and got a correct response from the Apple forum.

Essentially, there was an issue with the cache on this particular computer. Restarting in safe mode cleared it, and resolved the issue. From the Apple community response:

Follow these steps to start up into safe mode.

1. Start or restart your Mac.
                      2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
                      3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

To leave safe mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

Then restart your printer and print a test page.

That fixed the problem. As it turns out, I was having the issue with Lightroom as well. Exporting the image into Photoshop would allow me to print it properly. Still not sure what the root cause was, but booting in Safe Mode fixed it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful