10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 11:52 AM by David Moyer

Data Changing

dennis_watert

this seems like a simple question and im amazed iv spent as much time as i have trying to find the answer to this myself with no luck. iv recently purchased a solution from a subsidiary i wish to make my own changes to, but im unable to locate the database the auto fill information is coming from any suggestions?

attached is a ss of the area in which im referring, its an auto fill of customer equipment i wish to add more information too.

• 1. Re: Data Changing
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database

In there, you should find two "boxes" we call them table occurrences on your relationship graph.

One: WO.Customer serves as the context for your layout. You should find another, Wo.Equipment, linked to it in a relationship. If you hover the mouse over the arrow in the upper left corner of each of these boxes, you'll find the file and table that provides data to those table occurrences and hence to your layout.

• 2. Re: Data Changing
            dennis_watert

filemaker ss question2.png

i see it says <current file> where it says data source. what im trying to access is that data source, so i can expand on the equipment listed, or did i miss a step here.

• 3. Re: Data Changing
              philmodjunk

It should also give you the name of the table and this will then be a name you can both find on the tables tab and you can also then click the fields tab and select that table name from the table drop down to see the list of defined fields for that table. You can then add more field definitions here before returning to the layout and adding those additional fields.

Please note that I am making an assumption that you actually know what you are doing. Many people ask for help in adding fields when it turns out that they really needed to add records.

• 4. Re: Data Changing
                David Moyer

Hi,

the auto-enter process might be a layout-level triggered script.  I don't see one on your Value field, so look in the bottom right corner of your layout for this:

Capture.PNG

Otherwise, look at the auto-enter options for the field Equipment::Value.

• 5. Re: Data Changing
                  philmodjunk

And by knowing both the data source table name and the table occurrence name (often but not always the same), you can go into Manage | Layouts and look for a layout that refers to either that table occurrence or another table occurrence with the same data source table if you need to look at the actual data.

If you can't find such a layout, you can also create one.

• 6. Re: Data Changing
                    dennis_watert

well, good assumption! im a noob to say the least. although, i have field creation down what i needed was the data source which i guess you refer to as the record? my intention was to to add more equipment to the list it pulled from for the auto fill

• 7. Re: Data Changing
                      philmodjunk

That would mean that you are adding more records.

Describe what you know at this point about that "auto fill".

I presume that you have some sort of value list, a drop down menu, pop up menu or other value selection devices where you select a device to add to the portal. Do you want more items to list in such a value list?

Or do you just want to add more rows of equipment records in that portal?

I'll keep assisting here, but it sounds like spending some time with one of the available tutorials on FileMaker would help you get a basic understanding of how Filemaker works.

• 8. Re: Data Changing
                        dennis_watert

iv gone threw a bit of the tutorials and training materials. this seems like such a simple issue with a simple answer im just missing. im just trying to add more data to our customer list or records that our solution is using as a database, which was originally in the form of a spreadsheet. listing names,address's (equipment on site) which we are trying to add too, seems like im just going in circles here.

• 9. Re: Data Changing
                          philmodjunk

To repeat:

I presume that you have some sort of value list, a drop down menu, pop up menu or other value selection devices where you select a device to add to the portal.

Do you want more items to such a value list?

Or do you just want to add more rows of equipment records in that portal?

• 10. Re: Data Changing
                            David Moyer

As suggested, please check File>Manage>Value Lists.