5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 8:53 AM by LabsRock

FM database/data gathering app on iPad.

mthornbury

My wife, the teacher, wants an app that can be used to capture data 'in the field', literally.

The school iPads are wifi only and the kids will be outside of Its range, so the app will need to be self-contained with regards to holding the data, at least until it can be sync'd back at school.

The data structure is simple - 18 fields, a mix of text and numbers, with a container used to hold a picture taken with the built-in camera.

i have it all, working in FM Go, while tethered to the MacBook I used to create it on FM14, but I don't seem to be able to work out how to run the data capture side of things while away from wifi.

is this possible, or am I confused?

Ive tried to find a guide but haven't had much luck.

I'm not a programmer, but have forty years of systems engineering, including databases, comms, etc. and am confident I can get it to work, if it's possible.

Any advice gratefully received, including recommendations of different packages, if FM isn't up to the task.

regards,

Mike

• 1. Re: FM database/data gathering app on iPad.
          LabsRock

Hi Mike,

If I understand what you are describing correctly, it should work just fine.  However, I'm not sure what you mean by you're not able to "run the data capture side of things while away from wifi."  Are you able to open the database and do some data entry but not able to capture the pictures?  Or are you unable to do any data entry from the iPads?  Once you have local copy setup on the iPads there is no need for wifi.

Craig

• 2. Re: FM database/data gathering app on iPad.
            mthornbury

Hi Craig,

thanks for the reply. I suspect it is just as you say, I need to enable local copy. That looks like the answer to my problems. I will dig into that.

Again, thanks. I was sure this was the right app for what she wants to do, but being a novice had hit the wall .

regards,

mike

• 3. Re: FM database/data gathering app on iPad.
              LabsRock

Hi Mike,

Not a problem, you'll get it there.  If you'd be interested I have a FileMaker system I started building out for collecting field data that I'd be happy to share.  It might be a little more than what you are needing, but there are some things you could possibly use in your system.  It is designed to be configured with different projects, each having multiple sites and at each site you can log results from sampling as needed.  It also allows you to collect pictures, as many as you want/need and associate them with given samples or sites, etc.  It is setup to be run on an iPad (I think I even had some iPhone layouts built) when in the field, but would allow for remote connection to an FM server or syncing if needed.  Most of the management is configured to run on a desktop system.

Let me know if you'd like to take a look and I'll send you an unlocked copy.

Craig

• 4. Re: FM database/data gathering app on iPad.
                mthornbury

That would be fantastic. Thanks Craig.

• 5. Re: FM database/data gathering app on iPad.
                  LabsRock

Hi Mike,

I've added a project (First Project) and site (Site 1) just to get started.  You can add more or re-name those if you like.  The system will open to different layouts depending on whether it is opened on a desktop, iPad, or iPhone.  Adding sample data is done through the site level layouts.  There are some management tasks that either are only available on desktop or have additional capabilities, but you should be able to do most everything on the iPad if needed.  You'll need FileMaker Pro/Go 14 or 15.  Please let me know if you have questions or need additional info.  As I indicated this is something I started putting together and then got busy with other projects and haven't actually run it through a full shake-out.  But I have tested all the basic functions related to logging sample data from an iPad and that part should work for you.

Craig