4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 2:05 PM by bryant

Tagging photos over the photo with short 2 to 5 word descriptions like names in Facebook

bryant

I've been a past developer for FMP, but been out of the Filemaker development network for several years due to changes at my job.

I was recently asked about creating an on-line photo database where the customer wanted a user to upload photos and have a different person "tag" specific location on those photo with short two to five word descriptions.  As they described it, like adding names to photos of people on Facebook. 

I'm thinking FM would make the creation of the on-line database, permissions (there would need to be certain permission set-up where Group 1 could see Group 1's photos, Group 2 see Group 2's photos, etc, with an Admin being able to a access all the photos), user accounts, etc. very quick and easy; but I don't have a solution to them adding text description directly on / over the photos in FileMaker.

My Plan B ( if they go with FM or some other system ) was to just have a box below or to the side of the photos that would contain a text description, but that doesn't really accomplish what they are trying to do, which is specifically identify three to five different objects in a single photo with a very short text description. 

The database would need to be hosted and accessed in a variety of locations, most commonly viewed on a tablet via WiFi.  Data could be entered on a laptop, tablet or desktop via a web interface.

Is this possible to do in the current version of FM?  Is it easy?

If not, are there any known plug-in's that may work / help.

A am trying to avoid building a from scratch on-line database due to client budget and time limitations.  And I was also looking for an excuse to get back into the FM development arena.

I appreciate anyone's input.

• 1. Re: Tagging photos over the photo with short 2 to 5 word descriptions like names in Facebook
          philmodjunk

Using native FileMaker tools to do this, it might be done, but it wouldn't be easy. Basically, you'd have to overlay the container field with a grid of transparent buttons, each with a tooltip that would function as a calculation. Clicking a button, (they could be popovers) could run a script that opens a dialog for the user to enter information that is then referenced by the tool tip. Getting the right button size would not be easy. The tool tips, come to think of it, wouldn't work on iOS devices anyway. You'd have to set up either massive numbers of fields with visibility controlled by "hide object when" or something to show the "tags" all at the same time without relying on a mouse hover to open the info.

An alternative approach that comes to mind (couldn't tell you exactly how to do this), might be to use a web viewer to display the image with javascript used to provide the interactivity.

• 2. Re: Tagging photos over the photo with short 2 to 5 word descriptions like names in Facebook
            taylorsharpe

I agree with phil that it is not practical in native filemaker, but you could put it in a web viewer and do this type of project in javascript, which is very powerful and fast.  Javascript is more complicated than FM development, but it works well within a FM web viewer and there are tons of resources and examples out on the web.  Some projects like this work well when you can bring together benefits of filemaker and javascript. 

• 3. Re: Tagging photos over the photo with short 2 to 5 word descriptions like names in Facebook
              bryant

I've done something similar to that before and it worked, but in that case we had control of the image size and it was for a very limited number of images. 

My concern for this project is that there will be users in the field importing the photos, so I have no real control of the photo size unless I was to build some type of control script that might adjust the photos to a standard size upon import or keeps the original photos but resizes a copy for a specific container to display with the grid on top.

But all that adds complications to the project and I'm really wanting to keep this as simple as possible.

• 4. Re: Tagging photos over the photo with short 2 to 5 word descriptions like names in Facebook
                bryant

Taylor - I was hoping it was going to be easy  -_-

I've never been a JS programmer, but have a good friend that loves it / swears by it / swears at it. 

I might have to bring him into this project :-)

Appreciate the response