AnsweredAssumed Answered

Find - Optimaztion and understanding the inner workings of FMP

Question asked by RussW on Oct 18, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 by RussW

One of the authors of an FMP paper on Optimization said that learning FMP was a journey. Boy, was he right.

So, after reading a host of discussions and papers on optimization, I have found some seemingly contradictory statements. My chief concern at the moment is the FIND when used on a large table of many fields and many records. And there seems to be some confusion, probably only in my own head. Hence my reach-out here.

In one place it was described that a FIND on a complex table should be performed on server using PSoS. Easy enough but I have still not mastered the ability to return the Found Set to the client. As I researched how to do this, I read that I'd get the same efficiency by doing my find in a blank layout based on the table I am searching. The articles say that by searching on a blank table, no data is transferred over the WAN except for the found set of record IDs which is negligible data. If so, that seems like a lot less code than replicating a found set on the client, but I'm not sure I can use blank layouts effectively in iOS which doesn't support off-screen windows.

What do you pros that live and breathe this stuff recommend?

Thanks,

Russ

Outcomes