4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2016 3:38 PM by scottworld

Bug with FMS 15.0.2: Can't disable progressive backups

scottworld

We had progressive backups enabled for an externally connected drive in FileMaker Server 15.0.2 on OS X 10.11.6.

We now want to disable progressive backups, but FileMaker Server won't let us disable the backups.

We uncheck the checkbox that says "Enable progressive backups", but it won't let us click the "Save" button after unchecking the "Enable progressive backups" checkbox.

The "Save" Button appears blue-colored and looks like it is available to click on, but it does absolutely nothing when we click on it. It doesn't save our changes. If we try to leave that particular screen, FileMaker Server prevents us from leaving that screen with an error message telling us that we have unsaved changes -- and FMS tells us that we must either "save" or "revert". Yet it only lets us click on the "Revert" button.

See attached 2 screenshots. We can not click on the "Save" button, even though it is available to us to click on. The only thing that FMS lets us click on is "Revert".

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.42.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.42.48 PM.png

• 1. Re: Bug with FMS 15.0.2: Can't disable progressive backups
          scottworld

Furthermore, if we leave progressive backups checked, FMS won't let us edit the filepath to create a progressive backup on a completely different drive. That was our original goal: we wanted to get rid of the original external drive and use a new external drive. But FMS won't let us change the drive nor will it let us disable the progressive backup.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bug with FMS 15.0.2: Can't disable progressive backups
            TSGal

scottworld:

Thank you for your post.

Enable progressive backups again, enter a valid path (be sure to click "Validate"), and then see if "Save" is accessible.  If it saves, then uncheck "Enable progressive backups" and click "Save".  Does this work?

If not, log out of the Admin Console, quit and relaunch Safari, and reconnect to the Admin Console.  This should put the Admin Console back in sync with the database server.  Try again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Bug with FMS 15.0.2: Can't disable progressive backups
              scottworld

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your input.

Sorry if I was unclear above. What you see in the screenshot above is what I was ATTEMPTING to save, but it will not let me save it. Progressive backups were already enabled. It wouldn't let me disable it at all. I was attempting to disable progressive backups, but clicking on the blue "Save" button did nothing. The only button that it would let me click on is "Revert".

However, regardless of my lack of clarity above, your solution above got me 50% of the way to success! I logged out of the Admin Console, quit & relaunched Safari, and then reconnected to the Admin Console... and this time, I was able to SUCCESSFULLY DISABLE THE PROGRESSIVE BACKUPS! Yay!

So I am now 50% of the way to success. After successfully disabling the progressive backups, I tried to re-enable progressive backups and type in my brand new valid path, but FileMaker Server would not let me click on either the "Validate" button nor the blue "Save" button. Both buttons appear active as if they WANT to be clicked on, but upon clicking on them, nothing at all happens. The only button that it will let me click on is "Revert".

I then logged out of the Admin Console, quit & relaunched Safari, and then reconnected to the Admin Console... and the same problem remains. I can check the checkbox to enable progressive backups and I can type in a valid path, but both the "Validate" and "Save" buttons don't let me click on them at all. No error messages or anything -- they are simply unclickable, even though they LOOK clickable (i.e. they are not dimmed buttons).

So right now, I am stuck in a MUCH BETTER situation than before. Progressive backups are now completely disabled (which is fantastic), but it won't let me re-enable them again.

My guess is that I will have to completely stop the FileMaker Server service from running altogether, and then start it up again. The only reason this is a problem is because we have over 100 users connected to the system 24/7, so it's difficult to find a good time to kick all these people out of the system! But I'm guessing that this will be the ultimate solution to this problem.

Thanks,

Scott

• 4. Re: Bug with FMS 15.0.2: Can't disable progressive backups
                scottworld

Great news! I was just able to resolve this issue without stopping and starting FileMaker Server altogether.

A helpful little birdie just gave me this tip, which worked perfectly. I went into the Command Line and typed in this command:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

And that did the trick!

Looks like that trick might be slightly related to this support article -- perhaps that support article should also include FileMaker Server 15.x in the right margin as well?

Thanks,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful