14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2016 4:44 AM by fmpdude

City Streets

jxjarvi

I want to find city streets with different names in my file. Can't seem to get that to work. I've read the help instructions on finding a range of data in a field, but didn't work.

I'll be glad for any help.

Jack Jarvis

• 1. Re: City Streets
          SvenLoetscher

How do you plan to define the find query? Is it always the same set of street names or do you want to be able to select several streets from a list?

If they're fixed you can specify it with a cascaded if-statement (i.e. If(street ="Park Ave" or "9th Street"....))

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: City Streets
            mw777rcc

More information is needed.  "city streets with different names"  Are you looking for misspellings?  Are you trying to do a search for more than one street name in the same search?  (i.e. find all Elm streets and all Maple Aves)

• 3. Re: City Streets
              fmpdude

You really need to be more specific, but you may be interested in a "Soundex" algorithm. Check out the link below.

FileMaker Custom Function:Soundex ( myfield )

HOPE THIS HELPS.

• 4. Re: City Streets
                jxjarvi

different streets that are already in the file under a field called Street Name....so I would use if(street="Angus" or "Augusta" or "Mariposa") or would it be if(street="Angus" ..."Augusta" ... "Mariposa")  ?

• 5. Re: City Streets
                  beverly

Nice! thank you for sharing. Much simpler than Levenshtein custom function(s) and likely to be helpful in many cases.

beverly

• 6. Re: City Streets
                    beverly

FM finds (manual or scripted) for "any" (an OR search) use the New Record/Request to add values:

Enter Find mode

Set Field ( Street Name ; "Angus" )

New Record/Request

Set Field ( Street Name ; "Augusta" )

New Record/Request

Set Field ( Street Name ; "Mariposa" )

Perform find

if any record has any of the values in the Street Name field, they will be returned.

In addition, the FileMaker find uses "wildcards" (symbols/operators) that may help:

beverly

• 7. Re: City Streets
                      jxjarvi

different streets that are already in the file under a field called Street

Name....so I would use if(street="Angus" or "Augusta" or "Mariposa") or

would it be if(street="Angus" ..."Augusta" ... "Mariposa")  ?

Thanks for the help.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM, SvenLoetscher <noreply@filemaker.com>

• 8. Re: City Streets
                        beverly

no, you need to FIND the records with those values in the field "Street Name". See my example. Try it manually. and if you don't get the results, come back with more questions.

beverly

• 9. Re: City Streets
                          jxjarvi

I want to make a precinct list for distributing political literature. I

know the names of the streets, I'd like streets whose names I know are in

square areas. Hope this helps. I will try what another user suggested.

Thanks for your time.

• 10. Re: City Streets
                            mw777rcc

If you are looking for multiple streets that you know the names of then you simply need to do one find request for each street name:

Example:

1. Enter Find Mode

2. Set Street name field to: "1st Street"

3. Select Menu Item: Request->New Request

4. Set Street name field to: "2nd Street"

Perform the find.

• 11. Re: City Streets
                              beverly

You can FIND those known streets and set another field with the "area" or "precinct". But if you don't know what that is, you may need to get the data from somewhere else that already has that data (voter registrations? courts? tax accessors?).

Once the streets are assigned to a Precinct/Area, you can FIND those on that field as well for other usage.

beverly

• 12. Re: City Streets
                                jxjarvi

Thanks! I just go back in the office and will try i.

• 13. Re: City Streets
                                  keywords

Re "I want to make a precinct list for distributing political literature. I know the names of the streets"

May I suggest a different approach? It seems to me it would be easier to address this issue once, by adding a Precinct/DistributionArea field to your streets database, and then assigning each street to a precinct. It would then be a simply matter of choosing the Precinct to find the set of streets therein. You could also produce a sorted report citing all streets sorted by precinct. By adding the extra category field you will simplify your on-going work immensely.

• 14. Re: City Streets
                                    fmpdude

Nice. clear, example.