5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 12:54 AM by alangodfrey

Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection

DominiqueHawinkels

I have written a program that draws some base data from an MS SQL database via ODBC which I can then manipulate.

The program I have written works fine.

However, I have struck an interesting problem when I share the file and attempt to use it from another device.

The other device can open the program but at soon as it attempts to run a script that draws on the ODBC link a message pops up "The account you entered cannot be used to access file. Please try again." and I am unable to access layout displaying data from the ODBC source.

This program has been written to be shared, ultimately on a server, but initially in the acceptance and setup phase it will be shared peer-to-peer.

Is someone able to explain what might be happening and any solution path around the problem.

All and any help much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection
          TSPigeon

DominiqueHawinkels:

Thank you for your post!

What are you hosting the solution with? (FileMaker Pro 15/FileMaker Server 15)

Did you access the file with FileMaker Pro via the Remote Host, or did you open it like a local file (double click or Browse File)?

I am also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection
            DominiqueHawinkels

Hello TS,

Thank you for moving thread.  In response to your questions.

I am hosting the solution with FileMaker Pro 15 running on a Windows 7 machine.

MS SQL Server 2008 is also hosted on the Windows PC.

The problem occurs when I try and connect remotely (Remote Host) with either an iPad or my MacBook.  Both running the latest versions of FileMaker.  I can open program and I can even navigate to various pages.  However, I can not access any data from the SQL server.  For some reason that I do not understand, the remote connection to FileMaker is not being allowed to connect to draw the SQL data.  The program works fine when I open and run it on the host machine.

Does the client machine need an ODBC driver?

Will I have the same problem when later on, I move the client on to using FileMaker Server?

This is a test program for a client who hosts their core data on an SQL server.  Basic information is drawn from the server.  Then after product testing, updated information is returned to the SQL Server.

Help in understanding the problem is much appreciated.

Dominique

• 3. Re: Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection
              alangodfrey

My understanding is that the workstation you are using is effecting the ODBC link. All Clients firing that script need to have the same named ODBC Connection in their local Data Sources. So, yes, each of the accessing devices must have exactly the same connection. Try setting up another PC with the same named connection and you'll see it works fine.

I think you are thinking that as it is a hosted file the ODBC data is drawn directly from the SQL source by the hosting PC.

• 4. Re: Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection
                DominiqueHawinkels

Hello Alan,

I will load an ODBC driver on my mac and check that what you mention works (which I am sure it will).

It still begs two questions though.

The first being is this situation the same when file hosted on FileMaker Server.?

I had a feeling that the server looked after the ODBC connection.

Also, if what you say is correct are there any ODBC drivers available to allow an iOS device (my iPad) to connect.  Or is it a case that FileMaker Go is no go when it comes to ODBC connections?

Thanks for your speedy reply

Dominique

• 5. Re: Access Account and password issue when attempting to use a shared file which has an ODBC connection
                  alangodfrey

I am no Mac expert (understatement).  We do a similar kind of thing daily, but not with a Server with Perform Script On Server (PSoS) capabilities,and not from an iPad.  (We do it all Old Skool.)

I have just confirmed that PSoS is supported on iOS.  You could run the import routine under that method.  Specifically from 'Help':

Reasons to run a script on the server

to improve performance by reducing the amount of network traffic between the client and server

to offload long-running tasks from slower clients to a faster server

to enable FileMaker Go clients to perform tasks that require plug-ins, which are supported on FileMaker Server but not on FileMaker Go

to use the Import Records or Execute SQL script steps with an ODBC data source that uses the server’s DSN

FileMaker Pro 15 Help