2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 7:45 AM by BillR_1

Portal Sort Stopped Working

BillR_1

I have a FM12-created database that is hosted via a hosting service. I have not changed any relationships, scripts or other infrastructure, but mysteriously the sorting of portal records, which worked fine before, no longer works properly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a possible hiccup since my server hosting company upgraded their FM server version? It's the only thing I can think of that changed.

Thanks in advance - Bill

• 1. Re: Portal Sort Stopped Working
          TSGal

BillR_1:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Server is now running on the hosting company's server?

Are you accessing the file with FileMaker Pro 12 or a later version?

If you are able to access the file with [Full Access] privileges, check the sort options for the portal in case this was disabled.  If enabled, try sorting on a different field, save it, and then sort on the original field and save it.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Portal Sort Stopped Working
            BillR_1

Thank you TSGal -- it actually ended up being a newbie error on my part, and not related at all to the server. I was sorting the portal rows based on a date modified field, but I had left the field type as "text" instead of "date." The sorting worked properly for months because it was sorting in descending order and 9 (September) would show before 8 (August) etc. The problem appeared when a portal row was entered in October (month 10) which fouled up the sorting because it was working on an alphanumeric system and 1 was before 9 as the first digit. Important lesson learned!