5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 7:36 PM by antoniodominion

match excel fields

antoniodominion

Hello Dear Reader – 

I want to utilize a pre-existing FileMaker solution, Contacts, to take advantage of the work that was done before me.  However, I already have an existing Excel spreadsheet with my contacts information.  How can I match the fields in my Excel spreadsheet to those that already exist in the Contacts solution?

Thank you very much for your kindest consideration of my inquiry. I look forward to hearing back from you, and I will await your reply.

:-)

Best regards,

~Antonio Dominion

Redwood Mountain Marketing Associates

(213) 440-4140 – Mobile

(213) 487-7563 – Office / Fax

Please Note: For best results, please try and phone me between 12 noon and 12 midnight, Pacific Time. Thanks!

:-)

• 1. Re: match excel fields
          beverly

one way is to export (as .mer) one bogus record from FileMaker. This is .csv with the column headers as the field names in the first row. Rename the document with the .csv extension instead of the .mer extension and open with Excel. Save this as .xslx and you then have a "template-for-import".

keep in mind that some odd naming for fields can be not so fine in Excel!

the "matching names" option in the Import dialog will work if all is well.

beverly

• 2. Re: match excel fields
            TSPigeon

antoniodominion:

Thank you for your post!

beverly made a great suggestion.

I am also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: match excel fields
              philmodjunk

If you are going to import the contacts from your spreadsheet into Filemaker, the Import Records dialog lets you see both the column (Excel) and Field (FileMaker) names and you can drag things up and down to align them. You can examine the data about to be imported to double check that you have aligned the columns to fields correctly for import.

• 4. Re: match excel fields
                beverly

Another suggestion! I've stopped doing that since we have "matching names" on import.

Sent from miPhone

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: match excel fields
                  antoniodominion

TSPigeon --

I want to thank you for moving my post to the appropriate forum.  In another comment, I misapplied the moving to Beverly, who has posted in her own helpful way.

Nevertheless, I wanted to give credit where it's due.

Thanks again!

~Antonio