3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 7:12 AM by redsonya511

Auto fill field value into another field

redsonya511

I am a totally self-taught Filemaker user who has no previous computer scripting experience.  I taught myself Filemaker Pro 14 totally through YouTube and a book. I have a very basic solution that I'm asking for help with.  I have a date field that I want to auto-fill into another date field (the dates are on two separate layouts so I don't want to keep going back and forth from one layout to another to fill in the same information.) The field names are different but the information is the same date.  I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.  I've tried looking it up but can't seem to find the exact answer for this. 

• 1. Re: Auto fill field value into another field
          TSPigeon

redsonya511:

Thank you for your post!

I'm sure there are a handful of ways to do this. You might use an appropriate Script Trigger to automate what you currently do manually. The script itself might include a Set Variable to hold the Date Field of the Current Layout, then a Go To Layout (to go to the second layout), a Set Field (to the Variable), and finally another Go To Layout to return to the Layout you started on.

I am also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more (and better) feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Auto fill field value into another field
            philmodjunk

We need to know more than just that you have two layouts. What do you have as tables and how are they linked in relationships? Are they linked in relationships?

It's entirely possible that you might be able to remove one of these two date fields and just use one field on both layouts--there by simplifying your database design.

• 3. Re: Auto fill field value into another field
              redsonya511

I have a very rudimentary solution with no relationships right now.  What I came up with for the solution was your second suggestion, I think.  I just used the same field on the other layout but called it something else.  However, we are also looking into using Domo and this may not be an option as they actually should be two separate fields even though the date in the two fields is the same. 

thank you for your response.