1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 12:29 PM by siplus

FMPA 15.02 memory leak?

justinc

I started noticing a problem in the past few days where doing nearly anything in layout mode in FMPA was sluggish:  clicking from object A to objectB would take .5 - 1 second to register; clicking into a text object would take similar amounts of time; double clicking buttons to open the definition window, etc.  It doesn't seem like much time, but it is extremely noticeable and has a significant impact to my workflow.  I have to click - pause - click pause - click...

I do tend to leave FMP up and running all the time.  So I checked on my Activity Monitor and FMPA process was sucking up 7.25GB of memory!  And this was after I had closed all of my open files.  (See screenshot - shows the 'Window' menu with nothing visible, and the Activity Monitor stat line.)  So I would guess it is a memory and swapping issue (I have 8GB of system RAM).

FMPA 15.02

OS X 10.11.6

8GB RAM     (so FM pretty much is taking up the whole thing)

4 plugins installed (2emp family, 2emp Dev Asst, BaseElements, custom plugin); only BE and the custom plugin are enabled.

I closed and restarted FM, then opened the two files that I normally have open.  FM is using up only 310MB of memory now (0 compressed).  Maybe this same memory hog-i-ness is causing the weird blank-row-when-scrolling issue I have seen in one of my files.

• 1. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
          Benjamin Fehr

there are similar reports. It was also reported that leaving Script Work Space open can also have a negative impact on performance.

• 2. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
            justinc

Yeah, I have noticed that if the SW is left open it can make running a script quite sluggish - you can see it refreshing/redrawing in the background.  Closing it makes things much more snappy - but that was not the issue in this case (unfortunately).

• 3. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
              TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for your post.

Do you recall how long FileMaker Pro was open before you noticed this behavior?

Besides the two plug-ins enabled, are you connecting to any external databases?  Any SQL calls to external databases?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down why this is occurring.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                justinc

Specifically how long...not really.  A week or more I would guess.  I don't usually shut down the app itself, just close the files.  And even then, I often leave one file open all the time.

I was connected to a hosted file or two; I often open multiple hosted files - sometimes at the same time, some times in sequence.  To my knowledge there aren't any SQL calls going on with any of these files.

I do know that the slowness seemed to be independent of what files I had open.  I experienced the laggy response when working only on a local file (no connections to any outside sources).  But this was after FM in general was hogging up so much memory.

The memory issue may not exactly be related to the sluggishness.  I restarted FM a few hours ago and when starting it back up and opening my files it was at about 400MB.  A few hours later now, and a few other files opened/closed, and it's up to 1.15GB.  Not too bad.  But I was just testing and experienced sluggish response when working in layout mode on a local file only (i.e. no remote files or remote connections opened).  It seems particularly bad when trying to edit text objects on a layout.  Clicking it the first time can take 1 second or so for it to highlight; double clicking it (after it highlights) can then take 1-2 seconds for the cursor to show up in the object.  Then clicking off into empty space on the layout (to deselect everything) can take 1-3 seconds again before FM was ready to respond.

It may well be something else on my system.  I'll do some more testing, restarting my computer and not having so many other apps open, to see what happens.

• 5. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                  justinc

Well, I installed some OS X updates on the 24th, so the computer was rebooted at that time.  Since then I don't know that I have noticed layout sluggishness.

FMPA is currently occupying 1.1GB of memory.

However, there is another issue that I thought might be related to the possible memory leak - but it has cropped up again right now:  rows are failing to render in list view.  I'll start a new thread about that.

• 6. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                    justinc

Things have appeared to get bogged down again.  FileMaker looks like it is using up 3.75GB/2.98GB (Memory/Compressed,  from Activity monitor).  Things in the program are very sluggish - it takes 5-10 seconds to register a click or selection of layout objects in layout mode; normal FM operation (Browse mode) is fine.  I have included a few screenshots of the Activity Monitor screens (at the bottom).

When I closed all of the open files the memory footprint stayed about the same - Compressed Memory and Ports actually went up once or twice while I was watching it.  When I finally restarted FM the Memory was at 3.75GB, Compressed was at 3.05GB, and Ports at 674 (had been down to at least 669 after closing the files).

This if FMPA 15.02.

OSX 10.11.6

* It looks like FM was started on Nov 10th (according to 'ps' command).

* I have two files open:  one is local (no EDSs or anything like that); one is hosted, with a couple of EDSs, no ESS though; only 1 of the files/EDS is visible (others are hidden).

* Script workspace had been open for a while, but was not open at the end.

* I have BaseElements and a custom plugin enabled; there are no disabled plugins.

I have these apps running:

* Firefox

* Thunderbird

* Chrome

* Inspector Pro

* Text Wrangler

* Xee3

* Excel

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 16.04.52 .png

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 16.06.27 .png

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 16.05.59 .png

• 7. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                      TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for the additional information.

There has been an issue reported that concerns a memory leak in FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.  The leak does not occur under FileMaker Pro 15.0.1.  For more information, see:

Memory consumpion OnTimer Script FM15

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                        justinc

I'll give 15.01 a shot.  Just installed it - we'll see how it goes.

• 9. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                          ToddWiener

This is also a problem for us on computers running FMP Advance 15.02 as clients.  Over a few days, the applications takes 4gb or more of memory and the systems slows down. Force Quitting and relaunching returns things to normal...for awhile.

• 10. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                            TSGal

ToddWiener:

I have attached your comments to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                              FabriceNordmann

Just to report 2 more cases.

Both are using FileMaker Pro Advanced on a mac.

#1 is mostly browsing (not going to layout mode or script workspace, just an end user behaviour). El Capitan, FMP1 15.0.1

#2 is a developer, Sierra, 15.0.2

After some time (a few minutes/operations), FileMaker becomes slow with the spinning beach ball of death.

• 12. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                                scottworld

TSGal: We have actually seen this issue ourselves on many different machines running FMP 15.0.2 over the last month. All machines are running OS X 10.11.6. The only other app running at the time is Google Chrome. Just FileMaker Pro and Google Chrome.

• 13. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                                  scottworld

Interestingly enough, we have NOT seen this in FMPA 15.0.2 from a developer's point of view. Only seen it from users who are running FMP 15.0.2.

• 14. Re: FMPA 15.02 memory leak?
                                    TSGal

FabriceNordmann:

I am definitely interested in #1, as the memory leak was introduced in FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.  What can you tell me about the solution running FileMaker Pro 15.0.1?  Any plug-ins?  What other applications are running?  Are there any OnTimer scripts?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next