1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 4:42 PM by codecruncher

FM IOS SDK Error on Upload

ontarget

Oct 25 2016

I'm using the latest version OX 10 Sierra

I recently added FileMaker 15 to my iMac, upon the install I opened Xcode 7.3, and I found that instead of Xcode 7.3 it defaulted to Xcode 8.0. I'm unsure because it's the first time I opened Xcode using FileMaker 15 that this was a default for Xcode and FM 15.

I built the project using FileMaker STK 15.01. Apparently you cannot use Xcode 7.3 when running FileMaker 15?

The following error occurred after completing the project and uploading the application IPA to iTunes.

"Dear developer,

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "My app". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:

This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCameraUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary."

My Question:

On the main screen I added an image I created for my application. This is not unusual since I have done this many times before. I am not at all Familiar with the need to add any editing to the Plist related to the error above.   Can someone explain how to resolve the issue and what exactly needs to be done?

• 1. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
          monkeybreadsoftware

Everything is fine.

Just two entries in the info.plist are missing.

see here

Cocoa Keys

You can add them easily in Xcode for your project and Apple will be happy.

(and someday a future FileMaker SDK could include them by default)

• 2. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
            ontarget

Hi Christian

I am now even more confused:

I thought the image I added was the reason for the error. But the "NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key " is not related to the image I created. It is related to the access of the photo library. I am not requiring any access to the photo library in my app. In fact I am not using any photo containers in the app. So why is the plist edit required?

NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription (String - iOS) This key lets you describe the reason your app accesses the user’s photo library. When the system prompts the user to allow access, this string is displayed as part of the alert.

Important: To protect user privacy, an iOS app linked on or after iOS 10.0, and which accesses the user’s photo library, must statically declare the intent to do so. Include the NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key in your app’s Info.plist file and provide a purpose string for this key. If your app attempts to access the user’s photo library without a corresponding purpose string, your app exits.

The second use key, I am not requiring any camera usage within my app?

NSCameraUsageDescription

NSCameraUsageDescription (String - iOS) describes the reason that the app accesses the device’s camera. When the system prompts the user to allow access, this string is displayed as part of the alert.

Important: To protect user privacy, an iOS app linked on or after iOS 10.0, and which accesses the device’s camera, must statically declare the intent to do so. Include the NSCameraUsageDescription key in your app’s Info.plist file and provide a purpose string for this key. If your app attempts to access the device’s camera without a corresponding purpose string, your app exits.

This key is supported in iOS 7.0 and later.

So, at this point I still don't know what needs to be added or even where the keys need to be added, let alone the string

• 3. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
              TSGal

ontarget:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue with Xcode 8 and the two entries.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                ontarget

Hi TSGal

It's good to see you working on this issue. Is there any way to do a workaround to submit my app?

If not what does the timeline look like to resolve the issue?

• 5. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                  monkeybreadsoftware

When you have the Xcode project open.

Click join the left navigator the top item, your project root node.

In the middle, you see settings for the app.

There is an Info tab.

When that's selected there panel "Custom iOS Target Properties".

There you can use plus button in the list of entries and add one.

One for "Privacy - Camera Usage Description" and one for "Privacy - Photo Library Usage Description" with right text.

That's all. Nothing FileMaker specific as every developer may need to do this.

• 6. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                    monkeybreadsoftware

and a screenshot from a dummy app project:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-25 um 21.45.02.png

• 7. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                      ontarget

I applied the edits that were suggested to add the two Privacy items.Then I submitted the app. Within 2 minutes I got the same email that was the same rejection. The same two issues I listed in the initial discussion.

Before I submitted the app I ran the simulator on the project and it loaded without any errors.

When I returned to the discussion I got the screenshot where you added. The right side of the new lines says "your Test Here"? What is the text to be added?

• 8. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                        ontarget

Please review the edits, and I added the Test "your text here" to allow you to see the rows. I don't think you wanted me to add the text, but add other specific text?2 Edits.jpeg

• 9. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                          monkeybreadsoftware

Of course you need to put reasonable text there.

The people at Apple will read it.

And than build an app with those texts included.

• 10. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                            monkeybreadsoftware

It happens often to me that I submit the wrong app (older one) by accident.

Or that I forgot to rebuild after latest changes.

There are a ton of reasons why this can go wrong.

• 11. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                              ontarget

What is reasonable text?

On submitting the current app project version, this is the current app version...

Based on how fast the app was rejected, I am sure no one read the submitted app? This appeared to be an auto checked item that caused the rejection.

• 12. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                                codecruncher

You might have to implement a feature that actually uses the camera and state it in the description. Otherwise your app might be denied for the sole reason that it requires access to the camera without a reason which is a privacy issue.

FileMaker 15 works just as well with Xcode 7.3, however, Sierra requires Xcode 8.0 - Xcode 7.3.1 is not compatible with macOS Sierra.

• 13. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                                  ontarget

I find it odd that FM testing did not uncover this issue before the SDK release?

I will try adding a container image field, but that seems like a strange requirement to have to add a container to fix the issue.

I found just now when I turned off "Data Protection" and tried another upload that this time it was accepted. The requirement for data protection being set was a requirement since Jan 2106. I am still going to see if I can get the app into review.

• 14. Re: FM IOS SDK Error on Upload
                                    monkeybreadsoftware

Well, it was not required some time ago.

Apple added that for iOS 10.

So FileMaker Inc. can take care of this issue for the next version of the SDK.

1 2 Previous Next