8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 1:54 PM by john_wolff

Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?

john_wolff

Steve Romig on May 18 wrote:

Pausing on FileMaker Server temporarily stops access to one or more open databases with Normal status. Connected clients can read data from the database while it is paused, but cannot modify the database until the database is resumed. For example, you can pause a database and safely use the operating system to make a copy of the file.

I'm seeing several occasions where several files on FMS 15.0.1 are being paused, mostly overnight, without my making that happen via the Admin Console. As client logins (with FMPA v15) do not proceed beyond entering credentials, we cannot even read any data.

Is this an indication of some trouble brewing with any of the hosted files??

Or, is there some problem with the installation of FMS 15 on this machine?

( 8 core 2008 MacPro with OS X 10.11.6 & 14 GB RAM, OS & FMS installed on 1 TB 3.5" HD)

Thanks in advance,

John Wolff

Hamilton, NZ

• 1. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
          mikebeargie

Usually it's paused during backup operations. If you have backups with the option to verify the backup files checked, it will take longer than normal.

Have you checked your log in the admin console to see what is going on?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
            john_wolff

Hi Mike,

Good suggestion to check the logs as they told me that the MacPro was going to sleep after everyone had disconnected for the day. Have therefore corrected that in the Energy System Prefs and have also increased the RAM cache from the default of 500 MB to 6 GB.

Hopefully we'll see now that the pauses are no longer being retained.

Many thanks,

John

• 3. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
              mikebeargie

Why the increase in the RAM cache? I would only make minor adjustments at any one time unless there are large complaints about performance.

• 4. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
                john_wolff

Hi Mike & Beatrice,

I need to give you some background info in order to explain my decision.

The previous installation of FMS 15.0.1 worked extremely well when running on an OWC 240 GB PCI SSD. The motivation to install the V2 upgrade was to overcome the stalled find on an unstored calc. After I upgraded to V15.0.2, the SSD got clobbered with dozens of extra files in the /Library folder. They hogged 185 GB of the free space and prevented us from re-uploading files after a reinstall of FMS 15.0.1.  How that came about I'll never know. Those files would not list in the Terminal and were only revealed after I removed the SSD to another Mac and ran Daisy Disk.

As a result, we recreated the Server volume on freshly formatted 3.5" HD with OS X 10.11.6. When running on this configuration, we were experiencing crashes on client workstations whenever we ran a looping script to update several products and their images on the web site via the ESS shadow tables.  In the previous and stable setup which had been stable for use for FMS 13 and 14,  the RAM cache had been set at 7 GB (half of the available RAM). As the default of 500 MB might have been a contributing factor to the crashing script, I figured it should not hurt to increase the cache to somewhere near the earlier amount.

Thanks to your suggestion, I'll start watching the server stats and reduce the cache accordingly. As of late yesterday, it seems that the offending script is no longer crashing but some further testing is still required.

Once again thank you for your help,

John

• 5. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
                  TSPigeon

john_wolff:

Thank you for your post and information!

The hosted files in a paused state could be caused by the computer going to sleep. You can check for a source of Kernel Power with an event ID 42 (when it goes to sleep) in the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System. You may be able to resolve this by modifying your Power Options.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
                    john_wolff

Hi TSPigeon,

Yes indeed! Changing the Energy Saver settings (OS X 10.11.6) to Sleep "Never" has certainly prevented the hosted files being left in a Paused state.

Can I suggest that this snippet of information be added to the help file?

https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fms/en/index.html#page/fms/admin_databases.html

It was not actually as helpful as I hoped it would be.

Regards,

John

• 7. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
                      TSPigeon

john_wolff:

There is actually a recommendation under "Improving Performance":

• Disable screen savers and sleep (or hibernate and standby) mode on the server. These OS features reduce performance or suspend access to hosted databases.

It doesn't explicitly mention pausing files. The "Pausing hosted files" section also doesn't mention that this can occur due to Power Options. I will put in a request for possible documentation change in the future.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Why are my hosted files being paused overnight?
                        john_wolff

Thank you!

In our hands the Pauses were crippling as hosted files would not open in the morning until I had visited the Admin Console. I might have solved the issue earlier if my search for "Paused" had taken me to the Improving Performance topic.

Regards,

John