12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 5:06 AM by fmpdude

Say "no"

malachydevlin

having delivered a huge (1yr) project I have 1 particular user who insists on asking for petty changes, age old problem I know.

eg can you change a button from "add" to "add customer" and so on..

I don't have a slick way with words so what gentle, polite way could I make the point that I'm not doing that Without offending the user.

• 1. Re: Say "no"
          coherentkris

talk to the person whos writing the check and tell them the cost is increasing for every change for this one user.

• 2. Re: Say "no"
            philmodjunk

Make sure that you bill them for every change. You are getting paid your your time at least. You can also take care to document each such charge as a separate item on your invoice so they can see that the changes are costing them extra.

I once made a lot of extra cash off such a customer. He was happy that he got it a solution set up exactly the way that he wanted it and I got paid for my time. We both saw it as a "win".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Say "no"
              ninja

+1 to Kris

Petty changes cost time...time is money...you think they are petty, but if the customer thinks otherwise they can pay for them.

If the contract is complete, (and paid for), start the discussion about what maintenance charges will be.

• 4. Re: Say "no"
                mikebeargie

You need to establish from day one that every change request will follow a process, and will be billed for.

If they ignore the process and just ask for it anyways, politely notate it on the invoice "____ requested update for ___ from __ to ___ " and bill it at an hourly rate. Usually those types of changes go away when the first invoice hits with lots of little tasks added up on it.

Office Space - fixed the glitch - YouTube

• 5. Re: Say "no"
                  Draco

Hi,

- During lifting requirement... use SRS ( Software Requirements Specification )

- Everything not exist in the SRS, ... it is a control change ( new requirement, which implies an associated cost )

Ideally, this should be explained at the beginning, but also can be explained after the project closed

Regards

Draco

• 6. Re: Say "no"
                    ninja

LOL...

Most questions here are about "How do I do this in FMP?" and yield a wide variety of techniques...

It is nice to see a question where all of the answers essentially say the same thing. 

Guess we've all been in the same position at one (or more) time or another.

Cheers all!

• 7. Re: Say "no"
                      beverly

send a quote for additional work to be done and get signed approval before doing the work!!

beverly

• 8. Re: Say "no"
                        PeterDoern

In addition to all of these other excellent suggestions, as part of your original agreement, try to establish a single point of contact for the project, the one through whom all requests will flow.

• 9. Re: Say "no"
                          David Moyer

Hi,

I hope to add to the conversation ... this happened to me a few hours ago - but it wasn't with FM.  I had quoted a fixed price on a project and within seconds of the customer starting to pile on additions, I simply stated that it wasn't part of the quote, but I'd happily add work/money as needed.

• 10. Re: Say "no"
                            malachydevlin

thanks all, yes its a matter of managing expectations and standing firm.

thanks.

• 11. Re: Say "no"
                              alangodfrey

As Phil says, it can be a nice little earner.  Why would you object to getting more work?  Ah - I see! - you mean you want to stop this Petty Person getting lots of stuff done for free.

Tuppence worth:

- encourage them like blue blazes to compile all their requests into a list, no matter how tiny.

- Explain that once you start into file modifications it's much more efficient to do a few hours work and kill 20 small requests in one go.

- Tell them you'll do the list when it builds to a half-day's work, or after 6 weeks, whichever is the sooner.

- as others say, get the Request List priced and signed off by the bill-payer before you start.

- but most importantly do not do the amendments in front of the customer.  Once they see the seconds it takes you to change 'Add' to 'Add customer' that's the only one they'll remember, and they will believe that everything takes just seconds.

- and even if everything did take only seconds, just 3600 seconds make an hour's work

• 12. Re: Say "no"
                                fmpdude

As others have said, you should have a written agreement with the customer that stipulates what changes cost, say, and a pre-agreed to hourly rate.

"Scope creep" is nothing new and there are many ways to handle it.

The best way is never give away anything for free or that's what the customer will think your services are worth. Beyond that, have a clear contract which stipulates what your services cost.

If you have a client who insists everything should be free, assuming you do FMP for money and not for fun, I would fire that client.  A client must understand this is a business. It can be fun along the way too.

I've found that once I stand up to a client (VERY rarely needed), it usually goes better after that.

Bottom line: If there's not mutual respect in a developer-customer relationship, it's not a good place to be, anyway.

HOPE THIS HELPS.