11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 3:03 AM by Stu412

SQL Fetch command

Stu412

Hi there

I'm investigating the use of the ExecuteSQL Fetch command and as far as I can tell it will only return whole rows of data, not specific fields.

What I need is the top 25% of results from the overall table for a given criteria.  The reason I'm using ExecuteSQL is because at the stage I need to bring this particular calculation to my report, I have the need to be working in a certain found set.  AFAIK native FM commands won't access records outside of the found set.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: SQL Fetch command
          Johan Hedman

You choose what fields you like to get data out of in ExecuteSQL

Here is a good article on how to handle ExecuteSQL

FM 12 ExecuteSQL, part 1 | FileMakerHacks

• 2. Re: SQL Fetch command
            beverly

If you mean FETCH FIRST:

the columns returned are a part of the SELECT:

SELECT f1, f2, f3

beverly

• 3. Re: SQL Fetch command
              beverly

get the PDF (more complete) and the example file(s)!

thanks, Johan

beverly

• 4. Re: SQL Fetch command
                Mike_Mitchell

Your question is confusing. Yes, you're correct that FETCH FIRST only controls entire rows; that's its purpose. If you want specific fields, you specify them in the SELECT statement.

FileMaker can access records outside the found set in a number of ways:

1) Create a new window and perform a separate Find.

2) Use a global field to create a temporary relationship.

3) Use existing relationships and summary or calculation fields.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? What is the "top 25% of results"? We would need more detail before we can help you.

• 5. Re: SQL Fetch command
                  Stu412

Thanks for the input everybody, to add some clarity as an example:

I have sales records for 200 customers

They each sell 100 products each with prices stored on my table, each has its own ID

Data table therefore is 20000 records

Each customer has a sub summary report, line by line of their price per product

This is calculated simply using Summary commands

In another column, the average price of the same product for all customers is displayed

Example report for customer 1 might look like:

Product ID     Their price          Total average          Top25% Average

10                    50                         55

20                    45                         47.50

30                    60                         58

1000                50                         57.20

'Their price' is taken solely from the calculations derived from the customer's own found set.

'Total average' is taken from ExecuteSQL looking at the table as a whole for ID's 10, 20, 30 etc.

As well as the above, I now need a further calculation which:

Looks at the entire range for a specific product ID

Sorts into descending order

Selects top 25% of this range

Averages that sub range

Displays it on the relevant row

This is why I was looking at the Fetch Percent command, to produce a formula that's practical for use for 100 rows in a sub summary report.

Any advances on that greatly appreciated

Thanks

• 6. Re: SQL Fetch command
                    Mike_Mitchell

Instead of trying to do this with in-table calculation fields, I suggest you script it instead. Create a completely separate table that has simple number fields for the values you want, and populate it via scripting. If you try to do this with in-table calculation fields, you’re going to suffer performance issues as the data set grows (especially using ExecuteSQL).

If this is intended to be an on-demand report, you might consider assembling the data in variables and using a Virtual List instead.

• 7. Re: SQL Fetch command
                      Stu412

Thanks for the ideas, I agree with both your points about a scratch table and the virtual lists.

The reason I've not looked at this so far in this instance is ironically due to speed.  I may be wrong here, but as I understand it:

If I run a scratch table with simple numbers, it will run the report very quickly on demand as calculations are limited, but will take time to generate due to the same calculations for 'Total Average' being required to be run at some point. The issue is that it's a live and always changing system, so 'Total Average' is a moving figure.  It's a case of choosing when to generate the 'Total Average' figures.

The other side on virtual lists is that they'd be based on ExecuteSQL initially to generate the global variable.  Given I have in this example 100 rows of products to get overall average prices for, surely that would require 100 ExecuteSQL statements, albeit looped.

• 8. Re: SQL Fetch command
                        Mike_Mitchell

Virtual Lists do NOT require ExecuteSQL. That's one way, but not the only way. A script can assemble the list without SQL.

Edit: And even if you do use ExecuteSQL for your VL, you can control the commit state of the records inside a script. You can't do that when it's defined as an unstored calculation field in a table. If there are open records, the server will send all the records of all the tables in the query down to the client - which can be a horrible performance hit. If all records are committed, on the other hand, the server will process the query and just return the results. Much, much faster.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: SQL Fetch command
                          user19752

Make the relation on Product ID as sorted,

Let ( [

all = List ( data::price )

; onefourth = LeftValues ( all ; Ceiling ( ValueCount ( all ) / 4 ) )

] ;

Case ( ValueCount ( onefourth ) < 2 ; GetAsNumber ( onefourth ) ;

Evaluate (

"Average ( " &

Substitute ( Left ( onefourth ; Length ( onefourth ) - 1 ) ; ¶ ; ";" ) &

")"

)

)

)

This will work only if each product have less than 4000 related data.

• 10. Re: SQL Fetch command
                            user19752

If you have more records, add calculation field

Let ( all = List ( data::pk ) ; LeftValues ( all ; Ceiling ( ValueCount ( all ) / 4 ) ) )

and make another relation using this = data::pk. You get result with

Average ( dataOnNewRelation::price )

pk is primary key, unique non-null field. If not exist, Get(RecordID) can be used.

• 11. Re: SQL Fetch command
                              Stu412

Mike

Thanks for the inspiration.  I've done a bit of a rewrite of the report involved and now this references a static number warehouse rather than the live data.  The warehouse is updated each time a user imports data.  Results are amazingly quick and the report now renders on screen in seconds rather than minutes.

This has also had a positive effect on the printing and PDFing of the report which was always a 15 minute bottleneck.  I've discovered that using script steps:

Enter preview mode

Save as PDF

Enter browse mode

is so much quicker than printing to any sort of PDF.