14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 6:27 AM by beverly

Table creation

sam0723

Hello everyone. i am working on the create a table form to the user. The problem is filemaker don't support table insertion/creation like microsoft office. the row and column will not create automatically or delete when needed. my question is is there any method i could use in filemaker to create such form? should i use html or other technique to generate such form.

Here is part of the form in the TABLE,

Education: xxxxxx

Family: ddsads

Hobbies: dada

In this form, the user would like to delete for example, the hobbies part when there is no information. However, i could not predict when the user won't use this part. Also, the form is a table, if one part disappear suddenly, it will looks strange.

Is there any method i could use to solve this problems.

I am using Filemaker 14.

• 1. Re: Table creation
          Johan Hedman

FileMaker is no SQL database/Microsoft Excel data sheet. You need to have all possible files in side one or many tables where you store your data. You can take users to different layout depending on what kind of forms you like then to use to show them just relevant fields for that user

You also suggest that you read free FileMaker Training Series

FileMaker Training Series | FileMaker

• 2. Re: Table creation
            sam0723

Thank you. so there is no way for filemaker to create a layout/writing a script, etc like i create a table in pages/microsoft word?

• 3. Re: Table creation
              beverly

I think, perhaps you mean a layout as layouts are based on a table (those fields from the table). But the table with fields is created by the developer, unless the user has full access to the database.

Perhaps a step back to see how FileMaker works?

Quick Start Learning:

The Quick Start Training is designed to help you achieve immediate success with the FileMaker Platform. The first part, Learn, is a step-by-step tutorial to get you familiar with the tools you'll need.

There are "views" (the arrange of the fields and records), such as a Table View and perhaps that's what you seek. Keep in mind that formulas, such as you would have in Excel are not a part of the Table View.

beverly

• 4. Re: Table creation
                Johan Hedman

No, you can not create a script or a layout from a script.

• 5. Re: Table creation
                  sam0723

Sorry for unclear description. i would like to create a form, for example an application form that containing several boxes. That comes a question, if the users think that one part of the form is an empty box. they would like to delete one of the column in the form so that it will be looked more comfortable. For example,

first name:

last name:

Extracurricular   Education: xxxxxx

Activities        Family: ddsads

Hobbies: dada

This time they would like to delete the family part, so the form will not adjust automatically and replace hobbies instead of family. In filemaker, i put that field in this layout. it will locate in that position unless i hide the field. My question is: is there any other possible way i could solve this problem or i should leave a empty box of the field in that record?

is it much clear to my situation?

• 6. Re: Table creation
                    beverly

yes, you know what you need.

1. leave the box and allow user to "hide" (add a button to toggle show/hide for any field & label it is beside)

or

2. tell the user to ignore the empty

The "report" can use hiding tricks (hide the label if the field is empty, for example) and sliding to "clean up" the form, but this only shows in Preview mode (and when printed).

beverly

• 7. Re: Table creation
                      Johan Hedman

You can have a user enter information and when choosing certain information have a Script Trigger changing layout to another layout where you choose to show other fields.

Layout 1

Name

Title

Occupation (based on Value List)

based on Occupation you then take user to next layout with a Script Trigger

Layout 2 for Lawyer

Name

Title

Education

Area

Layout 3 for Nurse

Name

Title

Type

Hospital    

• 8. Re: Table creation
                        sam0723

Thank you beverly, how to slide to clean up the form? In my point of view, i also prefer option 2, but the users want to have a "clean up" form

• 9. Re: Table creation
                          sam0723

Thank you. different layouts could be one of the option i could choose.

• 10. Re: Table creation
                            beverly

"sliding" only works in Preview mode (and when printed).

Another suggestion is to have a "form" which is really a table with the form labels. the user chooses which labels to include and a "formID" is assigned with several records (in List View) to display each of the choices.

There are still issues with "sliding", as each row is the same height.

I suggest this as I have several clients that choose questions for a survey-type form. The survey is created with ID and this is assigned to each of the records (as foreign key). A loop pushes each selected question to the new survey, shows an "answer field" for responses. It get's tricky if they want more than a single field for response (such as radio buttons). But it may be an option for you. The hiding may be preferable!

beverly

p.s. there are several good requests for sliding in browse mode or more flexible "form control" such as you might have in a web browser.

• 11. Re: Table creation
                              sam0723

Thank you, i think sliding is a good answer to my question. one more question, how could i have more control on form(having a web browser) as i am new to filemaker.

• 12. Re: Table creation
                                beverly

forms in a browser need:

• html

• css (likely)

• javascript (likely)

and if you are versed in these, great!

also needed:

• hosting on website to process the form and post back to the database as needed

NOTE: you can have a webViewer display a "form", but saving the data back is even more tricky and beyond the scope of this question.

beverly

• 13. Re: Table creation
                                  sam0723

Could you tell me how could i create form in browser, just write code in the field? how could i store information in the database? 

• 14. Re: Table creation
                                    beverly

you should learn how to write the HTML. you can calculate a field to contain the HTML and concatenate field data as needed.

from there read this:

beverly