AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linking layouts

Question asked by pim on Oct 27, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2016 by philmodjunk

I have been struggling to find an adequate way to connect data between tables other than using a portal. In this instance, a portal is not ideal because there is too much data to enter.

The basic layout connects tables representing Owner, Pet, and Clinical record data. From the Owner form I have placed a tab to enter a new pet. This tab takes the user to a new form where the pet details can be entered. I need to link pet with owner using the foreign key relationship. I want to populate the foreign key data automatically once the Pet form opens in data entry format. I have tried a number of recommendations without success. One of the problems I have also struck if I do place the correct data in the Pet foreign key and subsequently delete this particular Pet, it also deletes the Owner details from the Owner Form. I have undertaken a lot of reading around this problem with little joy. Everyone seems to recommend the use of a Portal. I must admit this is a lot easier, but inadequate for these purposes. I anyone has a solution that doesn't involve complicated jiggery pokery that would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes