6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 3:15 AM by Markus Schneider

Download a new solution on iPad

gdaquino

Hello experts,

Is there a way to download from a a link directly a solution on an iPad?

I mean, I have a .zip folder on a web server that I can reach with an iPad. Is there a way to download the solution on the iPad and run it?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
          philmodjunk

If it were unzipped, yes.

You can also email links or use other utilties such as drop box and google drive to move files to and from an iOS device.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
            gdaquino

Do you have an example to follow or a tutorial on how to do it from an unzipped .fmp12 file?

What's the best way to do it? Dropbox or gdrive or?

Thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
              philmodjunk

They just need to use Safari to navigate to the web page with the download link.

Tap the link.

The file can't be opened in safari and they get a screen telling them that with a button named "open in". They tap that button and select FileMaker GO from the list of apps you might use to try to open the file.

I usually do this with an emailed download link or attached file (if the file is small enough).

The steps are much the same.

• 4. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
                Vaughan

Another method is to make a FMP database with a single record, and put the solution in a container field. Make a button that exports the file and opens it. Users open the "loader" database, click the export link, the solution gets downloaded to the iDevice and opened with FM Go in one step.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
                  gdaquino

yes,

Infact I'm thinking about creating a page inside the solution where the Webviewer opens a xhtml page that has a version name and a download link. If the version name is newer than the user can download the new version, export it from the temp container field, then open it from a single button. But of course without using .zip.

Thanks both of you!

• 6. Re: Download a new solution on iPad
                    Markus Schneider

if You have an utilitiy on iOS like GoodReader, just send/open/download the .zip in GoodReader, then choose 'unzip'. Afterwards, GoodReader can send the file to FileMaker

If it's a one-time operation, it's fine...