2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2016 8:01 AM by tmlutas

Common data across multiple solutions on FM Server

tmlutas

Let's start with a trivial case, US states. There are 50 of them. Let's say that you've got a dozen or so solutions that all use the same data. Can you have a common states database that is referred to by all those solutions that is not, itself, shared (and thus using up one of the 125 slots for sharing databases)?

The real world example I've got is US governments, of which there are approximately 90k, each of which will have a significant amount of data. There will also be other databases, such as a bureau of labor statistics database, a bureau of economic analysis database, etc. The solutions I actually want to share will all be using these databases. Must these databases (which I want to have available locally for speed and reliability reasons) be replicated across the multiple solutions that will be using the data?

• 1. Re: Common data across multiple solutions on FM Server
          Mike_Mitchell

tmlutas wrote:

Let's start with a trivial case, US states. There are 50 of them. Let's say that you've got a dozen or so solutions that all use the same data. Can you have a common states database that is referred to by all those solutions that is not, itself, shared (and thus using up one of the 125 slots for sharing databases)?

Yes and no. Such "library" databases are fairly common. You just link to it from every solution that needs it as an External Data Source.

But - big But - the 125 file limit isn't on sharing. It's on hosting. If the file is being hosted by Server, it'll consume a slot. (And I would NOT recommend trying to do this with a local, non-hosted file.) So even if it doesn't show up in Open Remote, it's still eating footprint.

So if you're trying to save hosting capacity, then no, this wouldn't work. But remember, you can have multiple tables per file, so you could easily enough include such a library table inside one of the other solutions and reference it from there. In that case, you gain the benefit of only having one copy of the necessary library (which is a very good thing - multiple sets of books are Bad), and you don't consume any extra hosting space.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Common data across multiple solutions on FM Server
            tmlutas

Thanks, you've given me my capacity planning answer.