10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 9:20 AM by fastems

i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,

fastems

Hello,

I am using FM15 pro with a modified copy of FM Starting point 4.6.

I started building a solutions using FM13 pro, then upgraded to FM15pro Adv.

My issue is that all files and copies of my solution that are saved on the local HD cannot be viewed or opened from windows Explorer.

I also discovered that I can't export to an excel sheet. from with in FM I can create an excel sheet and save it but cannot find or open the files outside of FM.

I have a directory with about 6 FM databases saved, I can see and load all from within FM but under Win Explorer, when I look into the folders the files are not seen.

I have been looking into the properties of these files and looking the the permissions and setting all to full access but still can't see them.

My question is?

Does FM when you log into a database file change user permission settings of the loaded file.

I also discovered that I cannot save any file within FM on a external media, I get an error the I have not permission and the drive is write protected.

I was thinking that I should reinstall FM15Pro but am afraid tat I will lose all access to my FM solutions that i have spent the last 6 months developing.

Anyone have any ideas how to recover these files?

Thanks,

Bill

• 1. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
          Markus Schneider

Not the normal behavior. FileMaker itself does not change existent files

Are there any third-party apps active, ie anti-virus, protection app's, etc? What happens when You work as an administrator?

Can You test with another user on Your machine, copy the files (the folder, if the files can't be picked) to that user and check it out?

If You copy the folder on an USB device: Are the files in that folder?

• 2. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
            fastems

Hello Markus,

I reread my message, seems I was rambling, it was very late when I wrote that message and many hours of frustration with this issue.

Thanks for your assistance.

>>Not the normal behavior. FileMaker itself does not change existent files

You are very correct here, I have never seen a situation like this in over 30 years of working on computers.

>>Are there any third-party apps active, ie anti-virus, protection app's, etc? What happens when You work as an administrator?

Yes I have an anti virus/internet security running, but I had disabled it and still no access.

>>Can You test with another user on Your machine, copy the files (the folder, if the files can't be picked) to that user and check it out?

I have run as administrator and other users, While within FM I an see and open all files,but not from Win Explorer.

I even booted into another OS from an external drive and then tried, no luck here either.

>>If You copy the folder on an USB device: Are the files in that folder?

I am not allowed too save the open FM data file on any other drive except the C:\

I have experimented, with changing peer to peer share access from FM share option, I turned on and off , made no difference.

recently discovered another weird issue, it seems that I cannot edit other solutions I had worked on from FM13, I can open but not  modify. I get an error message "This action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable."

I was thinking of reinstalling FM, but I'm afraid doing so, I may lose all access to my working data files.

I had exported the file data to an Excel sheet and then saved the excel file, guess what? it to is not accessible from windows.

And I can not email any of the saved files.

I have repeatedly tried to change permissions, through FM, open file-view file properties-change permissions or change owner, This too has not worked.

Note: when I list a folder contents from open file within FM, all of the files I'm having problems with show a padlock symbol over the icon. None of the ways to fix this, I had researched online would work.

I am at the mercy of the forum users wealth of knowledge.

Regards,

Bill

• 3. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
              Markus Schneider

is there some kind of encription on the HD? There was a report in another forum where a machine crashed and they installed a new machine - and fortgot that the old HD was encrypted...

• 4. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                fastems

Hi Markus,

As far as i can see no encryption..

• 5. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                  Markus Schneider

What file-system? The local one on the PC harddrive?

• 7. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                    Markus Schneider

what gives Get(FilePath) back? Create a test-script with one step: Show custom dialog, dialog as formula with Get(FilePath)

Can You do a 'save a copy as' to get a copy on the desktop?

• 8. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                      fastems

Hello Markus,

I tried that script and it returns the right directory on my system drive.

I can do save as "filename" onto any folder on the current drive, and then can view and load the file into FM15 but I will not be able to see or find the file under window explorer or any other program.

Even data exported files to Excel can not be access even with Excel running under Windows.

For some reason, when FM saves any file, in any c:/directory when I exit FM the files are not visible to windows.

Nor will FM allow me to save as or  export any opened datafile to any other local or networked drive.

I may have mentioned this be for, from within FM, open file and view the directory where I saved my solutions, I can see a list of all the files but each file has a padlock symbol over the file Icon, I believe this indicates the file is locked, but I have not been able to unlock these files suing any method I researched online.

I have been looking to the Win Registry for solutions. My best guess is that when I installed FM, it was installed with corrupted permissions. I logon onto Windows using a regular user profile with Administrator access, but this account and my Administrator account cannot access the FM data files.

When I check the file ownership from the open file-browse option from within FM and then check file properties, it lists my account and has full control checked off under permissions.

So after  week of looking for a reason or solution, I am at an loss.

regards,

Bill

• 9. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                        Markus Schneider

only one (other shot in the dark) left: The filenames are with extension? We've had this once, for some reasons, the extension was not correct/missing

But it looks like a windows problem - maybe caused by the installation of FM

- Folder/file attributes are set correct?

- copy of the folder to another device (Mac..)

- zipped folder copy

- firewall?

- You mentioned already that there is nothing like encription-sw...

Maybe a complete new installation solves the problem, since the files are invisible, it's maybe not the best advice

Do You have an older (FM13,14) Version to test?

• 10. Re: i'm having an issue with file permissions on files saved from within FM15pro,
                          fastems

Hello Markus and others who replied to my problem.

I have finally solved my issue.

It seems that when I installed FM15, my internet security suite tagged the install and ran it from a sandbox so that the resulting files could not be accessed except through the FM running in the sandbox.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Bill yager