9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 9:54 AM by TSGal

Bento DB trapped on iPhone

EdMarks

I used to have the database on my Mac and my iPhone. It got deleted from my Mac. How do I get my Bento database off of my iPhone and onto my Mac?

Although the Mac and iPhone have been synched in the past, there is no iphone.bentdb file in the user/Library/Application Support/Bento folder. So it is as though they were never synched. 

iPhone SE - IOS v9.3.5.

MacBook - OS v10.10.5.

Bento 4

• 1. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
          TSGal

EdMarks:

Thank you for your post.

Is there a bento.bentodb file located at: [User Account] -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb?

If not, then there are some utilities that allow you to get data off the iPhone.  I have personally used PhoneView.

PhoneView - Export and Save iPhone SMS, iMessages, WhatsApp, Voicemail, Call History, Music, Photos, Notes - Ecamm Netwo…

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
            EdMarks

Thank you for your quick response!

There is a bento.bentodb file located at  -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb. It do not think that it has the file that is on my iPhone.

I tried PhoneView but it doesn’t show Bento unless I select ‘developer mode’ from settings but even then no files are available.

Are there any other tools to copy the Bento datafile from my phone?

Thank you,

Ed Marks

• 3. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
              TSGal

EdMarks:

If you have a bento.bentodb file on your Mac, then you should be able to sync with Bento for iPad.  If not, then the file you are looking for on the iPad is dustbuster.sqlite.

With your iPad connected to your Mac, launch PhoneView.  In the left column, click Apps.  With the Apps showing, click on Bento.  Open the Library folder and you will see the bento.bentodb folder.  Open that folder, open the Contents folder, open the Stores folder, and copy the dustbuster.sqlite folder to your Mac.

Although Knowledge Base Article #12595 mainly pertains to Bento for iPad 1.x, the latter half of the article is relevant to Bento 4 for iPad starting with "Copying a database file to Bento for Mac."

Retrieving your Bento 1.1 for iPad data under iOS 7 | FileMaker

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                EdMarks

Hi TSGal,

I wrote to Ecamm the creators of PhoneView and they wrote back saying "Sorry, this is not a feature of PhoneView.” Do you know of any other app that can pull the Bento database file from my iPhone?

Thank you,

Eddy Marks

• 5. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                  TSGal

EdMarks:

I just downloaded and installed PhoneView trial.  Following the steps I laid out, I am able to retrieve the dustbuster.sqlite file from Bento 4.1.2.

After launching PhoneView and clicking Apps, click on the Bento application and post a screen shot.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                    EdMarks

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for sticking with me on this. I really appreciate it.

I connected my iPhone, launched PhoneView and made the setting changes you recommended (see 1st screen shot). Then I clicked on Apps and then clicked on Bento but nothing shows up in the column where Bento files should be (see 2nd screen shot).

I don’t know what I am doing wrong that you are able to see the Bento files and I am not. The directions in the article mention an iPad and I am using an iPhone. I don’t know if that is the reason it is working for you but not for me?

Help!

Eddy Marks

Here is the 1st screen shot showng the PhoneView settings

Here is the 2nd screen shot showing that even though Apps and Bento are selected, nothing shows up in the column where the Bento files should be.

• 7. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                      TSGal

EdMarks:

I don't have Bento for iPhone available to me.

When you sync with Bento for Mac, the database file from Bento for iPhone is copied into a backup folder.

Your Bento for Mac database file is located in the folder:

[Your user account] -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb

Inside that same folder, after a sync, you will see a Backup folder preceded by the name of your iPhone.  For example, "Ed's iPhone Backup".  Follow the instructions in Knowledge Base Article #7292:

Restoring Bento for iPhone/iPad data after initial Sync | FileMaker

Let me know if this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                        EdMarks

Hi TSGal,

Is it safe to sync my iPhone with my Mac? I’ve been warned repeatedly by Apple employees (Genius bar types) that this will erase the last remaining file on my iPhone. Yikes! This is my one and only passwords database and if it is lost I am in really big trouble.

Very worried,

Eddy

• 9. Re: Bento DB trapped on iPhone
                          TSGal

EdMarks:

If you have previously synced Bento for iPhone with Bento for Mac, then a new sync will overwrite what is on the iPhone.  As mentioned in my previous reply, a Backup folder is created that contains the original database file from the iPhone.  However, the Media field is deleted as well as Encrypted fields.  That is, if your password data is in an Encrypted field, then that data will be lost.

If you feel uncomfortable, then start writing down the data and passwords before syncing.

On the other hand, if this is a first time sync, then all data from the iPhone will merge with what exists on the Mac.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.