4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 8:23 AM by SteveFransen

Server Doesn't Display PDFs In Container Fields

SteveFransen

Greetings,

How do we get PDFs in container fields to display when the solution is accessed from the server?

PDFs in container fields display as expected when the solution as accessed locally on a MacBook Pro. Nothing appears in those container fields when the solution is accessed from the server. The PDFs display as expected once again when we copy the solution from the server back to the local MacBook Pro.

The server configuration is:

FileMaker Server 14

Windows Server 2012 R2

Adobe Acrobat Reader D.C. default PDF viewer.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Server Doesn't Display PDFs In Container Fields
          philmodjunk

Exactly what do you mean by "accessed from the server"? One normally does not access a hosted database from the server machine--is that what you meant or did you mean something else.

There are a variety of insertion methods and storage options for container fields. Plus the same container field may behave differently on different layouts due to differences in how they are optimized in the inspector and whether or not they have been placed inside a portal.

For those reasons, please describe in detail:

a) what storage options are specified in Manage Database for the container field

b) what insertion method and with what options were used to insert the file

c) What version of server and filemaker are you using? Any other software such as FM GO or Web browsers involved?

d) How the layout is set up where you are seeing this issue and whether or not the container field is optimized for interactive content or not.

• 2. Re: Server Doesn't Display PDFs In Container Fields
            SteveFransen

Hi Phil,

To clarify, when I log in from my MacBook Pro, when the solution is running locally on the MacBook Pro, the PDFs display in the container fields as expected. When I load that solution onto the server, and log in from the MacBook Pro, the PDFs don't display in the container fields. All I've done is move the solution to the server.

Below are the answers to your questions. We appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Steve

a) what storage options are specified in Manage Database for the container field

Storage.tiff

b) what insertion method and with what options were used to insert the file

• Set Variable [ $Path; Value:Get ( TemporaryPath ) ]
            • #
            • If [ $DiabeticRetinopathyEvaluationResult = "low-risk" ]
            • Go to Layout [ “Low-risk Evaluation Report” (DreTestResults) ]
            • Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “filemac:$Path/DiabeticRetinopathyEvaluationReport.pdf”; Current record ] [ Document - ] [ Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ] [ Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ] [ Restore; No dialog ]
            • Go to Field [ DreTestResults::RCDRReport ]
            • Insert PDF [ “imagemac:$Path/DiabeticRetinopathyEvaluationReport.pdf” ]

c) What version of server and filemaker are you using? Any other software such as FM GO or Web browsers involved?

FM Server 14.0.2.226. FM Pro Advanced 15.01.119 on a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011). No FM Go or Web browsers involved.

d) How the layout is set up where you are seeing this issue and whether or not the container field is optimized for interactive content or not.

Inspector.tiff

• 3. Re: Server Doesn't Display PDFs In Container Fields
              miler24

I've had this issue before and it was due to certain ports not being open.  Port 16000 is sometimes used (depending on your server version) for progressive downloading (which is what shows the contents of the PDF in the container field).  I'd also double-check port 443 is open in case you have the container data stored as encrypted.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14402/~/ports-used-by-filemaker-server

-Eric

DocuWrx

• 4. Re: Server Doesn't Display PDFs In Container Fields
                SteveFransen

Thanks, Eric. We'll check those things and get back to you!