AnsweredAssumed Answered

Running Multiple Instances of FileMaker.exe on Windows 10

Question asked by danjamins on Oct 30, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 by danjamins

Is there a simple workaround to opening multiple instances of the FileMaker app itself under Windows?

I've looked around and the behavior on Mac is a bit different than Windows, where you can have multiple windows open similar to the way you could have multiple .exe's open on Windows with all other programs except FileMaker.

No, I'm not talking about the Window>New Window function in FileMaker, I'm talking about opening two separate instances of the application itself.

I don't want to hear "just get a mac" because that's stupid. Why would I spend $1000+ on a Mac just for a basic feature that could be easily added to this app? I support a Windows based network, so I use Windows.

The reason I want to do this:

I have two databases open, I want to open the relationship graph on both of them and compare the ERD of each file. I now can take a screenshot of the ERD on one, and have the screenshot open on the other monitor while comparing. The problem with this is that I can't interact with the screenshot to check fields, check relationships, expand the TO on the graph to see all the relationship connections.

It's really annoying to have to close one relationship graph to open the other.

It's been explained as Windows managing windows differently than Mac, but that's a bunch of crap. Yes, Windows does operate differently than a Mac, but I can have multiple separate .exe instances running of all programs except for FileMaker. It's pretty standard - so saying "It's not a problem with FileMaker it's a problem with Windows" isn't even remotely true.

If anyone knows a workaround I can use (seem to be a lot of those with this platform) that would be awesome. If not, it's just one more thing with FileMaker that makes me consider other options.

Outcomes